multiple volt gauges

Bennys_Si

hey guys,

ok i amk thinking of running two volt gauges, so i can monitor the amps in the boot, problem is i want to read the voltage of each one. i have looked at a few gauges, and they all say connect to the igntion, the problem with this is i am running a second battery so wont get a true reading.

i know i can do it if i just take the connections from the amps deirectly, and run it through a switch, but any ideas how i could di it so they come on with the ignition, but still read the seperate voltage?? (i hope this has made sense :P )

:thumb:

If you connect them in series with each amp, then they'll only read a voltage when there's voltage passing which will only be when the amp is on. So for each amp:

Battery -> Voltmeter -> Amp for each positive feed. I think. Wait for someone to tell me I'm wrong or right first.

If you connect them in series with each amp, then they'll only read a voltage when there's voltage passing which will only be when the amp is on. So for each amp:

Battery -> Voltmeter -> Amp for each positive feed. I think. Wait for someone to tell me I'm wrong or right first.

see no i thought that, but when i looked at the gauge, there is litteraly (sp) three wires, one for the positiive, one for the ground, and then you have the dimmer cable. problem is i i wire it directly to the positive terminal without a swith and have it earthed, then it will always be on... as i say i can do this if i run it through a switch, which wouldnt be a great hardship i guess...lol, just hoping someone might have another idea how to do it.

Put a relay in line with the guage that is activated by the ignition.........Voila..... :thumb:

yeah i think thats gonna be the best idea really, same as a switch just automatic...lol, just couldnt think of how to turn them on seperately, yet have them showing the different voltages draws. cheers mate :cheers:

surely the light on the amp would do to splice into, that only comes on with ignition :thumb:

remote lead (blue wire normally) on the amp would also do the job, that's ignition/head unit controlled

yeah but it wouldnt givea true reading ar you'd be taking the + from the headunit and not the amp. plus running teo gauges, the voltages would end up being the same.

but thanks all the same. :thumb: