Panel Filters

mcflycossie

I have recently taken off my K&N Indution kit and gone back to my old standard air filter box which has drilled holes in the bottom. I seem to get a much smoother and better response from the old panel filter box so have decided to stick with it and put in a new panel filter.

Looking on the net i noticed about £10 difference between the pipercross and the K&N panel filters.

Has anybody got either or know why there is any difference for the price ? Is the K&N better ?

Any recommendations off course gratefully recieved

Cheers

Ben

KN TEND TO BE MORE, WELL REFINED, WHERE AS PIPERCROSS ARE MORE ABOUT GRUNT, PERSONAL CHOICE BUT PIPERCROSS ARE VERY BOOMY, KN NOT SO MUCH. ALSO WITH A PANEL FILTER YOU WON'T GET HEAT SINK FROM THE ENGINE !! :) WHICH IS NICE!

When you mean boomy what do you mean ? More responsive ? If so I think ill go for that. I had a K&N Cone

before and to be honest I wasnt to impressed.

Get a K&N panel filter, you seem to be forgetting that all it does is filter air!

A K&N one will last much longer and serve you better than some cheap foam crap.

If they are both freeflow you aint gonna see alot of difference, although i should imagine that the K&N will be quality for your money.

I have a pipercross panel filter with a standard undrilled box... its very loud ! much more than I thought it would be .. but there was a definate improvement to throttle response... not suprising looking at the filthy fat heavy standard panel filter I took out to replace with this thin light thing...

when it dies... eventually, I will give a k&N a go to compare.

i just brought a massive pipercross filter ( not sure why, maybe this thread??) it's off a evo / scooby and it for my 2.0 conversion / modds don't want my baby to have trouble breathing

linky

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...N%3AIT&rd=1

• 2 weeks later...
with a drilled air box, do you get the induction noise?

with my pipercross panel filter and a standard undrilled box I was suprised to find the engine was a LOT louder! ... i didnt expect there to be any noise atall and even thought my engine was knackered for a while till I noticed that was one of the 'features' of the panel filter on the box it came in.

I doubt its anything like an induction kit type sound - but try it before you start drilling - it might be good enough?

tbh the drillled airbox dosnt give u extra all its doing its drawing hot air in i tried the induction kit then panel filter drilled and panel filter undrilled and it was alot smooth and went better with it undrilled and does sound very nice

before u ask i got air box off a mate thats why i did the drilled first then the undrilled