polishing and glaze

cherrybeard

hello all, probably should go in detailing section but seems a bit empty in there!

Anyways, got some G3 and 3M Imperial Hand Glaze to make the car look luvverly. Its my first time so would appreciate any hints tips or pitfalls that i should be wary of.

Was planning on washing the car first quickly before the G3 but only have shampoos that contain waxes so not sure whether to just rinse with water first. Some people say that G3 is quite harsh and others say that it is very mild so bit confused there. All i really want is to take out the yellow sponge swirl marks and try and disguise as best as i can the key scratches around both lock barrels. How long do i keep rubbing once the polish has disapeared? Anything special to do after the polish but before the glaze stage?

With the hand glaze im assuming that its a bit easier and you just rub it on and buff off with a separate cloth until it becomes shiny? :rolleyes:

Lady in the shop said that i dont need to lay a wax on top of the glaze but im sure you need to give it some protection. The glaze stated that there is no wax in it!

Have got access to a hose pipe at 10 this morning so if anyone could reply before then would be most helpful, cheers people. hopefully i wont rub too hard and take off some paint!

Wash the car throyughly before you start any polishing or glazing.

G3 Is quite abbrasive, but it should do you fine, just apply it as you do polish, leave it on to dry to a haze, then buff off, then apply your glaze. Wax on top is defintly worth it! It will add protection.

I think the tart in the shop was relating to the fact that glaze can be applied after wax, and will only take a wee percentage ofthe wax off.

HTH.

Wash the car throyughly before you start any polishing or glazing.

G3 Is quite abbrasive, but it should do you fine, just apply it as you do polish, leave it on to dry to a haze, then buff off, then apply your glaze. Wax on top is defintly worth it! It will add protection.

I think the tart in the shop was relating to the fact that glaze can be applied after wax, and will only take a wee percentage ofthe wax off.

HTH.

Cheers for replying mate, have only got two hours to do this in so may only be able to do one side of the car! Was also thinking of washing and going straight to glaze and waiting till i have a whole day free to muck about with the polish since i dont wanna get myself into a mess and not be able to sort it for a few days.

ok thanks for sound advice, will just go and wash it for now as i hate it sitting there dirty. what with all the filler around it looks a state until it shines a bit. At least i got time to do more research into it. Have good day peeps and cheers for getting back to me before the 10 o clock deadline!

Joe.. nice results mate, have you ever tried a sealant instead of wax? Just wondering how different it would look. I have a metallic pepper red and the hot wax at the car wash (spray on spray off) always made it look juicy however i read that a sealant is better for metallics as waxes can dull the flakes or something or nothing...

think i need more practice just washing the damn thing to be honest

gave it a good scrub and it looks nice but when i run my finger over it its got a chalky resin left behind (only used turtlewax) and i rinsed plenty. I bought a load of stockinette to go with the polish and stuff and tried using one of these to dry it as i was getting loadsa water spots appearing but it left loads of bits of the cloth over the few panels i tried. I was recomended these by the shop but not sure about using them with the polish to be honest as i dont think ill ever get all the 'bits' off!

£11 for a massive bag of em :vangry:

Had a cheeky lil go of the glaze on one part of the passenger door (sorry was too curious to wait) and it took AAAAGES to rub it in. kept trying to buff it out with a clean cloth (leaving behind even more bits of cloth) and to be honest couldnt notice the difference.

think i need more practice just washing the damn thing to be honest

Use the Guide in the detailing section :thumb:

gave it a good scrub and it looks nice but when i run my finger over it its got a chalky resin left behind (only used turtlewax) and i rinsed plenty.

A chalky resin... :unsure: Dont know what you mean... Possibly the effect of your drying!

I bought a load of stockinette to go with the polish and stuff and tried using one of these to dry it as i was getting loadsa water spots appearing but it left loads of bits of the cloth over the few panels i tried.

Buy a sonus ultimate drying towel, amazing things!

I was recomended these by the shop but not sure about using them with the polish to be honest as i dont think ill ever get all the 'bits' off!

£11 for a massive bag of em :vangry:

Had a cheeky lil go of the glaze on one part of the passenger door (sorry was too curious to wait) and it took AAAAGES to rub it in. kept trying to buff it out with a clean cloth (leaving behind even more bits of cloth) and to be honest couldnt notice the difference.

Get some microfibre cloths from Costco, AMAZING!

Like i said, washing then glazing wont be a huge difference :cheers:

glaze cant be applied after a wax as they are a bit oily and will not work over wax, wax is LSP or a sealent will help also.

glaze is only applied to a panel at a time and then buffed of, no need to be worked in and using a microfibre will be the best. rubbing to hard will create marring or hologramming (small fine marks in the light as you look over the panel)

fcuk off the G3 as well, old style product, Autoglym SRP will be loads better

IMO if i doidnt have time id do a few panels fully

Wash the car everytime to stop any more swirls being created

process

Wash/Dry/Clay/Polish (depends if you want to REMOVE or FILL (will be removed over time) the swirls)/Glaze/Wax (2 -3 coats over a few days to let it cure)

and also there is www.detailingworld.co.uk for more help and advice and pictures

Good luck

well thanks for all your help people, is great to know that i can come on here anytime and ask since the girlfriend is gettin sick of the car talk he he.

Do you think that i should get a different shampoo to clean it with beforehand i.e. one without waxes in since i suppose that that turtlewax is a cleaner and finisher combo?

hi, me again :rolleyes:

do i need to spend 6-7 quid on a decent microfibre or are they all the same

will these do for polishing and stuff?

ebay cloths

Megouris do a Shampoo Pplus whihc diesnt container any wax so it just cleans and cleans well, worth a look £15 for a gallon but mine has lasted 6 months with washing a car every week or twice a week.

check out www.cleanyourcar.co.uk for cloths, £3 each for good ones like these:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/microfibre-cloths/cat_5.html

shampoo

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-dryi...s/prod_322.html

see how you go, worth spending a little more to get more and a better product which will do the job