IBM Server Setup...

smithyandco

I don't think that's the RAID controller driver Phil.

Try here:

http://www-947.ibm.com/systems/support/sup...p;matrix=Y#RAID

It works!!! :roll:

Thanking you! :cheers:

I did download that driver... wacked the file onto a CD-RW with the display drivers etc thinking it was an driver to install after the Windows installation... Knew it was user-fault! :nutter:

So what was the point in the driver I was attempting to use? (the readme made me think it was the right one... Telling me the F6, load driver stages like I thought would be correct...)

Tested it with a 2000Pro disc... now to play with some real server OSs... Any recommendations for a learner?

Other than Windows server 2000 and 2003 (not including 2008) and some old Windows server betas (and of course some desktop OSs) I've only got Sun Solaris 10 to play with...

phil-smith.tk- some boards have multiple controllers.. you were using the wrong one :)

There's a lot of new stuff in Windows 2008 worth learning... otherwise you could try OpenSolaris I suppose.. play a bit with ZFS.. personally i'd focus on something you intend to earn money on and become an expert at it :)

Edited by Stu

Its been a good while since I have built a server, when I moved out for University last year I left my file server at home which was the placed in to the shed and actually got crushed and binned (my mother assumed I wouldn't want it!!!!!) ah well never mind.

I happen to have a dual core laptop at home that would most likely fit the job of a low powered alternative, off to google for raid PCMCIA cards or some method of doing so!

what about a NAS? bit expensive but they have their own controller and are pretty user friendly. These drobos are awesome...

Drobo

looks really good but too expensive for what I would want it for, I have been looking around at Esata express which seems the ideal solution.

something like this looks interesting:

http://www.addonics.com/products/host_cont.../adexc34-2e.asp it seems you can daisy chain up to 5 drives to each of the ports with the right enclosure.

And this port multiplier

http://www.addonics.com/products/host_cont...r/ad5sapm-e.asp

Edited by Gadge

eetaylog - steer well clear of software based raid, in my expo it will let you down and is abugger to recover from when you need to :)

wish someone'd told me that a few years ago. ive already had issues with software controllers in the past and im still in the middle of re-building all my data. :(