Stretched tires.

Apnea

Hi, i went to speak to a tyre man today, I forget the tire size he mentioned.

But I wanted to get some small really low profile tyres on my gti wheels, and get them stretched on.

Whats the smallest ones I could get?

Also, what about safety, speed etc, does this all get affected with stretched tyres, cheeers

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Safety? Stretching tyres is completely unsafe.

When i put it in on google search, mostly forum replies asking the same questions.

The people who had answered mostly said they'd never had any trouble with them

But when you think about it, and in theory they do sound really dangerous.

Dunno about the safety aspect but I would say pointless and ask what youre trying to achieve ?

If its lopro you going for would make more sense to purchase lopro ?

stretching just doesnt make sense unless to save money..

But id rather spend on right thing than spend fixing the car after totalling it

because of a duff idea tbh ...

Its a grey area... I would be interested to know the legal implications where insurance is concerned, whether tyres were being fitted outside of the recommended manufacturer use could be considered unroadworthy and therefore illegal. Personally I think they're unsafe, they put a lot of strain on the sidewall thats there's a higher risk of damaging/ unseating the beads... Aside from that I think they look silly but thats just my opinion! Edited by hamspeed

Dunno about the safety aspect but I would say pointless and ask what youre trying to achieve ?

If its lopro you going for would make more sense to purchase lopro ?

stretching just doesnt make sense unless to save money..

But id rather spend on right thing than spend fixing the car after totalling it

because of a duff idea tbh ...

Well thats a matter of opinion. Its a styling thing.

thats all.

Its a grey area... I would be interested to know the legal implications where insurance is concerned, whether tyres were being fitted outside of the recommended manufacturer use could be considered unroadworthy and therefore illegal. Personally I think they're unsafe, they put a lot of strain on the sidewall thats there's a higher risk of damaging/ unseating the beads... Aside from that I think they look silly but thats just my opinion!

Drifters use them for some reason apparently, there is a reason behind it. After trawling through google search. I havent found one post on any forum with actual evidence that they are dangerous, just peoples opinions and thoughts.

Drifters use them for some reason apparently, there is a reason behind it. After trawling through google search. I havent found one post on any forum with actual evidence that they are dangerous, just peoples opinions and thoughts.

Drifters use them because theres less contact patch on the tarmac, therefore you can spin the wheels and change direction easier... Why would this be helpful on the road lol? :glare:

Edited by hamspeed

Drifters use them because theres less contact patch on the tarmac, therefore you can spin the wheels and change direction easier... Why would this be helpful on the road lol? :glare:

Well Mr.Peugeot, Its not about use, its a styling thing, would you like to see a picture, good ill show you one;

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/3337/86367322ey2.jpg

Well Mr.Peugeot, Its not about use, its a styling thing, would you like to see a picture, good ill show you one;

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/3337/86367322ey2.jpg

that looks Shite + the tyres on the wrong way round