Jari-Matti Latvala Portugal Crash WRC

hamspeed

For those of you who didn't catch it on Sunday, Latvala, crashed heavily on Friday’s third stage, his Focus RS plunging over a roadside barrier and rolling 20 times down a hillside, eventually coming to rest 150 metres from the road.

Incredibly Latvala and co-driver Miikka Anttila escaped without injury.

“I'd like to say a big thank you to the team for building a car that is so strong that we walked away with only a few bruises,” said Jari-Matti. “If we had suffered that accident 20 years ago, we probably wouldn't be alive.

“It is definitely the biggest and the hardest crash I have ever had. I didn’t realise what was happening until we started to roll. It’s a nightmare feeling when you are in that situation because all you can do is wait. As we rolled there was an incredible noise and the roll cage started to fold in around us. It was very frightening,” he added.

that was a scary one, only gone over twice in a roll and it seams like a eternity could just imagine how long it felt like to continue rolling for over 10 times, a credit to the strength of modern wrc machinery

• 2 weeks later...