Hard Drive Problem

boostic

Hope someone can help cos this is doing my head in and i cant find an answer anywhere

Right i bought a 300gb hard drive from ebay istalled it on in my computer then after about a week it just packed in and wouldnt boot passed the bios screen.

Got hold of the bloke returned and and receaved a new one

Put it in today and it is doing the same

I cant even get into the bios while its plugged in

But if i plug my old one in it boots fine

My old drive is a Samsung HD160JJ and the new one is a HD300LJ

Please help

They are both sata drives

If the new one is plugged in it wont boot weather on its own or with the old one

But if you trick the PC and plug it in after the bios screen then yes it does show up in explorer

sounds to me mother board dont like it. ive got same problem with ram. ive got four stick of 2 gigs,if i have 2 in it boots ok if i put four in it won boot to cmos.

If the new one is plugged in it wont boot weather on its own or with the old one

But if you trick the PC and plug it in after the bios screen then yes it does show up in explorer

sounds to me mother board dont like it. ive got same problem with ram. ive got four stick of 2 gigs,if i have 2 in it boots ok if i put four in it won boot to cmos.

if youre running xp i think it has issues with recognising too much ram, so that could be your problem.

Update your sata controllers firmware... this should add better compatability.

Then get back to us with the results. (if you struggle... get us the motherboard make, model and revision if any and we can find the firmware for you)

Possibly a motherboard limitation... if the board was designed for 32bit XP then the manufacters would have got away with a 4GB limit (also 32bit XP's limits)

I would only be worried if your running a 64bit board... which should support more than 4GB (probably around the 16GB mark as that's the limitation of 64bit versions of XP)

In XP Home you wouldn't normally see much. if any difference between 2GB and 4GB as it will be split in two... 2GB for the user and 2GB for the kernel.

XP Pro... can use 3GB of the 4GB for the user though... but you have to add the /3GB switch to the boot loader. Most 32bit apps wouldn't be able to utilise more than 2GB anyway...

im running vista ultimate 64 bit. the mother board book says can take 8 gig 1066 ram.

Must either be a fault with the motherboard, ram or a incorrect bios setting...

ive taken it back to were i bought it they had a look at it and said it was ok.

i can get it to start with all four sticks in but when you switch it on the next time i wont show cmos :vangry:

Hope someone can help cos this is doing my head in and i cant find an answer anywhere

Right i bought a 300gb hard drive from ebay istalled it on in my computer then after about a week it just packed in and wouldnt boot passed the bios screen.

Got hold of the bloke returned and and receaved a new one

Put it in today and it is doing the same

I cant even get into the bios while its plugged in

But if i plug my old one in it boots fine

My old drive is a Samsung HD160JJ and the new one is a HD300LJ

Please help

just had a thought your old drive is more than likely sata 1,and the new one is sata 2.check if your mother board supports sata 2.

just had a thought your old drive is more than likely sata 1,and the new one is sata 2.check if your mother board supports sata 2.

It's backward compatible (Like USB2 devices in USB1 ports)... I'm running a SATA2 500Gb Samsung on a SATA1 board... :thumb:

i thought they were incompatable. i had this sort of problems with a sat2 hdd wouldnt work.

i thought they were incompatable. i had this sort of problems with a sat2 hdd wouldnt work.

They are compatible... or at least should be...

SATA2 drives will (or should) run on SATA1 boards... but obviously at SATA1 speeds so don't be expecting amazing results from your 3GB/s drives on a SATA1 board..