Future storage technology

eetaylog

I was wondering the other day (after my boot disk died a horrible death) what the future technology for hard drives/storage might be?

ive had way too many discs die on me over the years, and its such a pain in the ass having to recover/re-copy data every time it happens, especially with media where HD films can be anything from 20Gb these days.

sure, theres ways to make data recovery a lot more hassle free such as redundancy in RAID arrays, but youve still got the cost of having to buy new discs all the time.

surely there must be a more robust (possibly solid state) technology around the corner that can combine the data transfers speeds of sata, with the compactness/robustness of, say, an SD card?

thoughts?

SSDs (Solid State Drives) are already here in IDE and Sata forms...

They are mega expensive compared to their mechanical counterparts.

Their reliability is somewhat questionable as well... As with most solid state memory...

The cheaper ones aren't designed for speed... just designed to be more durable in portable devices such as Laptops.

The so called HDD killers which do provide some better speeds in areas (and much slower speeds in other areas) are the expesive ones... Expect to pay at least £100 for a SSD with the same capacity as a £20 HDD.

Example: SSDs on Misco