Feedback through audio system

massivewangers

Just put a bit of stereo in my car, nothing amazing yet, just a CD/MP3 tuner, a set of components in the front doors with tweeters in the A-pillars, running off an amp mounted in the boot.

It seems when the engine is running I'm getting some feedback, mainly through the tweeters. I'm no expert on car audio to be honest, it isn't really my thing, but what could be causing this?

Currently the main power cable runs down the left hand side of the car to the boot, along with the remote lead from the head unit. Down the right hand side are the RCA leads and the cables running from the amp to the crossovers. Can any of this not run together? Or is it likely to be an earthing a problem? Feedback is associated with engine revs; the level changes with engine revs.

Just a list of things to check would be handy, cos I have no idea about this sort of thing if I'm honest!

:innocent: now dont quote me on this just a suggestion, I think you made need a inline suppressor which any car ice place should have and will tell you where to put it, i am going back to the old days if memory serves correct it basically looks like a plastic fuse holder, hope that helps

This isn't feedback., it's just noise/inteference.

It's caused by noise from the alternator and coilpack typically. Ensure both of these have the appropriate supressors installed.

Where would I find those Stu? There was no issues with the original system that I ever noticed, it's only happened since the change!

I thought it only had the single earth that ran through the ISO connector into the car's loom? Obviously that's connected. The wire in the ISO adaptor loom was partially stripped as something else had been earthed to it too (I don't remember what). It's the unit that came from the black 2.0 anyway, just running without the processor unit. I thought there was only the one earth required for the head unit?

It's a......CDA-9884R. Not sure if that will help massively. I could try adding an additional earth I suppose. Someone else I suggested I try that. Just take it from the section where it was stripped and reinsulate it. But I thought it would only need the existing earth really!

The head unit wiring seems ok. I also tried an extra ground but that didn't seem to make any odds to things really, though I may try it again just in case the earth point I had wasn't amazing.

A couple of other people have also mentioned fitting something to try and reduce interference from the alternator. Just seems strange when I've had two cars of the exact same model as this and never had an issue like this before!