motherboard and case... Recommendations

smithyandco

Sorry, couldn't wait long enough for the reply! :nutter:

Managed to find an ideal case... Not OTT which plenty of cooling ideas. Coolermaster Elite 330

http://www.el-oro.com/el-oro/UploadedDocs/s_20071120_1304.jpg

£15 new (ex-display) - Even came with a free £40 Coolermaster PSU :thumb:

All it needed was a quick dusting and a clean to get the finger marks off and it's like new retail... everything with it.

Even got a motherboard while I was at it...

Gigabyte EP43-DS3 for £20 Brand new retail (just discontinued from that retailer) - these are £80 new from other retailers :thumb:

http://www.forsaleonline.net.au/images/Gigabyte%20ga-ep43-ds3.jpg

£170-ish worth of PC gear for £35 :cheers:

All from CCL (from the showroom rather than online)

Just preparing to move everything over now!

nice one... not a bad piece of kit :D

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice case, but never been a fan of gigabyte stuff, every time I get asked round to sort out someones PC it seems to have had a gigbyte mobo which has died.

Cheers, Personally can't fault it!

- Strong mesh panels on the front for airflow... all of which have removable high flow dust filters. Space for a rear 120mm fan as well as a front 120mm fan (holes provided for 80 and 90mm also), funnel and tube from CPU fan to side panel for direct cool air flow. Other airflow holes near PCIe for GPU cooling.

Plenty of drive bays all of which are tool-less or screw on (your choice - Although the tool-less is fantastic in this case).

Gigabyte has failed me a few times in the past... Mainly SktA stuff and always capacitors swelling then spewing all over the board... Other than that, they were fantastic for those building all-rounder PCs. :pancake:

This one has 100% solid capacitors... So I'm hoping Gigabyte have finally figured out where they were failing. :D

For the price it was either this or an MSI board... The MSI was no where near the spec of this one :thumb:

can't say I didn't warn ya...

Haha... It's you!!! You cursed it! :innocent:

:roll:

Just seems Gigabyte are still to learn their lesson... it's under warrenty so it's going back.

Along with this bloody "Any Pentium 4/D CPU" heatsink and fan which couldn't cool a fart... Fitted correctly with Artic Silver 5 and it sat at 70c in the BIOS with the 80mm fan refusing to spin higher than 1200rpm... :nutter:

hehe, if I did, it was unintentional. DFI do some great stuff, and Ive never had a problem with either Acer or Asus. MSI are supposedly good, but have never used them myself.

70C in the BIOS? cripes.

I'd love DFI stuff... But I just don't have DFI money :(

Asus maybe my next move... all my Asus boards were fantastic :thumb:

temporarly fitted a different 80mm fan on the heatsink sat at 2500rpm idle

Sitting at 55c as I'm typing this... but as soon as I put strain on the cpu it jumps upto 65c+ with the fan jumping upto 4500rpm (NOISYYY!!!)

I know it's a Pentium D 930 which are notorious for heat... but I'd still like to bring that down to the 45c mark :thumb:

those sort of temps point to mis installed heat sink/fan imo

nice case for the money the 330

It's fitted fine... Heatsink is making perfect contact. The paste is correctly spread with the correct amount... Just this heatsink is completely inadequate :(

It was a HTPC heatsink and fan setup... designed to be quiet and compatible with Pentium D cpus below 99w. the 930 is a 95w.

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?...id=hfa-10828-c2 - This one.

Just going to replace it with a decent heatsink!

wow that is a useless looking design

The fan is about 5mm deep... literally - I might be 1mm either way out at most.

I didn't realise it would be this crap when I bought it... Just thought "Says it will do the job... suits me"

At full pelt, I'd still be better off asking a pensioner to blow on the heatsink with a very thin straw. :nutter:

Not sure which to go for to be honest... I will be buying it from CCL.

just get a stock one, they're chirpy cheap on ebay

I've had a stock one already... They are only just adequate for a 930.

I've had a HP OEM 775 heatsink which was just under adequate (although suited the old P4 fine)

So I'm after a little upgrade to something with a little more leeway

I was thinking of going nuts and getting one of these:

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=32369&category_id=99&manufacturer_id=0&tid=8-7276700249-4# ://http://www.cclonline.com/product-in...276700249-4#

...That was if I wasn't worried about it fitting this board (using the HP/MSI OEM board again... due to the Gigabyte failure :( ) and the cpu fan funnel on the 330 case :pancake: