motherboard and case... Recommendations

smithyandco

Ok...

Ideally I'd like an SLI, Skt 775 DDR2 board.

It will need two or more usuable PCI slots. (doesn't matter if only one is usable in SLI). Preferably a Midi Tower filler.

Will accept other recommendations like DDR3 but it still must be SLI and Skt 775.

Not wanting to spend too much. (£50ish - Don't mind looking at used as long as it's not shagged)

Features like insane overclocking support are not important to me.

Case... Want something simple, modern, elegant and functional in Midi Tower size... So none of this "looks like a Nokia" or "Bright purple with see-through side" rubbish.

Functional = Good cooling, well thought out... Not full of plastic clips etc in this case (A pun... :innocent: ).

Colour = BLACK!

Again, on a budget. Around £50ish

I don't need a psu which opens up thousands of sub-£50 cases. :thumb:

A couple of personal favourites so far(mainly judging on looks - yet to looking into functionality)...

Asus TA-210

http://enter-pc.com/images/ASUS%20TA-210%20copy.gif

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you can stretch a bit the antec 900 is an amazing air cooling case, the 902 is better but more expensive, socket 775 and ddr2 are old hat now better to go ddr3 and one of the newer sockets tbf

That Antec looks very functional in regards to cooling... Is there an equally good toned down version? Something a little more stylish and a little less "lan party".

It's going to have to be a 775... I don't have the money for a new processor. I've only just managed to get a new processor as well (well... second hand) a Pentium D 950 (2x ~3.00Ghz Dual Die) which explains the high temp readings I'm getting from my crammed HP DX2100 Micro case.

Buying a 775 board still leaves me with some great dual die/dual core/quad core future options though! :thumb:

DDR2 would make things cheaper for me as well but I am open minded about going for DDR3.

I was looking at an ASROCK board (yes... they are sh1t), Skt 775, DDR2 and DDR3 (2x DDR2 slots and 4x DDR3) with SLI which would have been ideal for what I wanted. But I forgot the model of the board and can't find it again! :nutter:

it really is a false economy as if you come to upgrade to core2quad they'll be rare and more expensive than a decent i5 / i7

honestly save up and wait or splash out. as for the case, the 902 looks better and cools a little better but they are some of the best air cooling you'll get at any price

it really is a false economy as if you come to upgrade to core2quad they'll be rare and more expensive than a decent i5 / i7

honestly save up and wait or splash out. as for the case, the 902 looks better and cools a little better but they are some of the best air cooling you'll get at any price

If and when I have the money for an i7 or i9 (when they hit European shelves) I'll be upgrading the board also.

It might be false economy in the long run to some but bare in mind it will probably stay a Pentium D based PC for well in excess of 12 months.

I stuck with an Athlon XP 2500+ and 2600+ based PC as a daily PC since I was 16/17 until last year (5-6 years). This is my first Intel based PC (not server... I've had my fair share of Intel servers) since my P3 700Mhz.

I'm no mad PC gamer... So upgrading every 6months is false economy to me.

I only splashed out a little on this PC to have something semi-decent as a daily, general purpose PC.

So a new board and case (maybe new ram) is as more than my upgrade needs are concerned as it is!

For what I do, my PC is more than fine. The only reason I'm considering a new board and case is due to heat. I've crammed too much in the little case and everything runs a little too hot for my liking.

I should have explained this from the start.

I know exactly what I should go for, for a gaming PC... I'm about to build a £2000 PC for work.

I'm just not too sure on what's best for a slightly aged PC like mine.

in that case scrap the board and just buy a decent case the you can upgrade later,

i upgraded a few months ago from my long serving AMD Athlon x2 64 with 4gig of ram it was a decent machine for everyday tasks but after 3 years i nearly upgraded to a 3.2 black edition and 8 gig of ram but when i looked at the cost it was less than double to go 1366 i7 6gb of ddr3 and a decent asus p6t... but i won't be upgrading for another 3 or 4 years again. so my advice buy a decent case to keep everything cool and run what you've got

I know exactly what I should go for, for a gaming PC... I'm about to build a £2000 PC for work.

I'm just not too sure on what's best for a slightly aged PC like mine.

build? that's a false economy for a business. Just buy one thats pre built, time is money.

I had one of these turn up last week. clicky

Edited by bluliz

build? that's a false economy for a business. Just buy one thats pre built, time is money.

I've got the time, the owner has the money.

It's not being bought through the company... So build is the way forward :D

Might be cheaper to buy... But it will be cheaper for a reason. IE: Unbranded 250W PSU badged as a 1500W PSU... Bargain bin 295GTXs instead of branded etc etc.

I've got the time, the owner has the money.

It's not being bought through the company... So build is the way forward :D

Might be cheaper to buy... But it will be cheaper for a reason. IE: Unbranded 250W PSU badged as a 1500W PSU... Bargain bin 295GTXs instead of branded etc etc.

Actually the ones in that link I put up are the business, you know exactly what components are going to be inside the machine. Certainly not a crappy 250w PSU badged as a 1500w one.

i still have a black and white coolermaster case for sale... can have it for £20 collected.

Pictures? Model? :D

full alimin. lots of room for modding and cooling, looks better then these pics, its been cleaned since then. these are abour 50 2nd hand with screen over 100 new. very good case.

ok pics here.....

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/626/dsc01057s.jpg

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3536/dsc01058qb.jpg

Edited by danny1987

Sorry, couldn't wait long enough for the reply! :nutter:

Managed to find an ideal case... Not OTT which plenty of cooling ideas. Coolermaster Elite 330

http://www.el-oro.com/el-oro/UploadedDocs/s_20071120_1304.jpg

£15 new (ex-display) - Even came with a free £40 Coolermaster PSU :thumb:

All it needed was a quick dusting and a clean to get the finger marks off and it's like new retail... everything with it.

Even got a motherboard while I was at it...

Gigabyte EP43-DS3 for £20 Brand new retail (just discontinued from that retailer) - these are £80 new from other retailers :thumb:

http://www.forsaleonline.net.au/images/Gigabyte%20ga-ep43-ds3.jpg

£170-ish worth of PC gear for £35 :cheers:

All from CCL (from the showroom rather than online)

Just preparing to move everything over now!