Stupid Computer

iwantacosworth

I need to reinstall my Operating System on my laptop but since I got it from my brother in law I didnt get any discs.

I thought it was a Dell laptop so i bought this from Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Then found out he got it from Sony. Can i still use this as I have the product key etc on my laptop or is it no good since its from Sony as opposed to Dell? If its no good would any copy of Windows Vista Home be able to be activated using my Product Key?

Excuse my basic ignorance of O/s and computers in general etc.

Thanks in advance

G

Dell disc will be no good... It's a HDD image on a disc(or at least some of them are).

It's only useful per series of Dells also(although you might get lucky!)...

Any full Vista disc will be fine... even a copy/borrowing someone elses as long as you own a full licence (ie: the licence sticker on the laptop).

Edited by smithyandco

I think the recovery partition for Sony laptops is mapped to F10

Try it, anyway, reboot the laptop and hold down F10 from the start. It is likely that the vista image is installed on a hidden partition, and F10 will load up the sony recovery software which can then copy the windows installation back across to the rest of the hard drive, restoring your laptop to how it came from the factory.

Make sure you back up any personal stuff like music, photos etc as these will be deleted otherwise

You should be able to identify the manufacturer of the laptop, along with the specific model number by just looking at it.

That would be a massive help.

I'm baffled how someone could confuse a Sony with a Dell though. Usually there's manufacturers logos all over the laptop.

Indeed. Doesnt bode well for wiping and reinstalling vista, eh?

You should be able to identify the manufacturer of the laptop, along with the specific model number by just looking at it.

That would be a massive help.

I'm baffled how someone could confuse a Sony with a Dell though. Usually there's manufacturers logos all over the laptop.

Indeed. Doesnt bode well for wiping and reinstalling vista, eh?

I'm surprised it even gets switched on successfully.