Server 2008 R2

PeeWee

Thats odd!, Are the clients getting web?

try see if the server can resolve DNS so try pinging 212.58.246.159 for bbc.co.uk from the server... Apply a dns server to the nic card if it responds ;)

seems to be a possibilty

from what i read vista and 7 need to have the IP of the server to be specified so ive no idea how your work ones were working?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats odd!, Are the clients getting web?

try see if the server can resolve DNS so try pinging 212.58.246.159 for bbc.co.uk from the server... Apply a dns server to the nic card if it responds ;)

seems to be a possibilty

from what i read vista and 7 need to have the IP of the server to be specified so ive no idea how your work ones were working?

I didnt actually install my work one I just administer it so ill have to check with the support to see how they did that?

The clients go to the web just fine its just the server that wont now, quite odd as I would of thought if the client is using the servers ip as the dns it would restrict the client too? I cant ping websites from the server either no.

The server doesnt show thats its local only, its shows as internet connectable but it just wont access via explorer nor pinging.

Edited by PeeWee

pretty wierd... ive no idea lol i would have thought the clients would be not getting web either but god knows whats up... You able to ping the router ECT?

Cant ping the bbc site from the server but I can ping the router & other computers over the network from my server lol?

All I do know is that if I let server2008 resolve the issue it does in fact fix the web access, unfortunatly this loses the server access to the other clients, it resolves by sorting the dhcp automaticaly if that helps?

Well the router is running the dhcp (thats what assigns the ip addresses to the clients right)?

Just to add I set my default gateway to my router address, would that be fine?

Can I assume that when I let the server diagnose the problem and automatically fix that its then taking over the dhcp hence why the clients that remain on the workgroup (not the domain) then lose internet access?

Edited by PeeWee

Really its just one or the other,, either the router runs DHCP and DHCP is disabled on the server, or vice versa.

depends where you set the default gateway... the server if not running DHCP should point to the router.. so in your case if the router is running DHCP all your devices should have a default gateway set to the router... or auto in TCP/IP v4, best thing is run an 'ipconfig /all' on the server and the clients and see what it shows.

it sounds silly but you have rebooted the server and the clients? just the amount of people at work we see who dont lol :roll:

Edited by scottg17

Really its just one or the other,, either the router runs DHCP and DHCP is disabled on the server, or vice versa.

depends where you set the default gateway... the server if not running DHCP should point to the router.. so in your case if the router is running DHCP all your devices should have a default gateway set to the router... or auto in TCP/IP v4, best thing is run an 'ipconfig /all' on the server and the clients and see what it shows.

it sounds silly but you have rebooted the server and the clients? just the amount of people at work we see who dont lol :roll:

Just rebooted the server again, it shows the connection as local only with no internet access although I have manually set the default gateway to as you said the same that is automatically allocated to the other clients ie given out by my router?

I would of thought by setting the default gateway to the same default gateway as all the clients that it would accesss the web fine?

I have set myserver prefered dns to the same as the default gateway, I havnt set an alternate dns though.

Should I set the prefered dns to the same as the servers IP address the same as I did on the client I got to join earlier?

Just amother note that when I set the server dns I get an error message that:

"error: the default gateway is not on the same network segment (subnet) that is defined by the ip address and subnet mask do you want to save this configuration?"

Edited by PeeWee

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

We have done it!! lol

No worries ;)

Just goes to show how easy it is to look far too deep into technical posiblitys & overlook a typo pmsl.

All working 100%

Now to find out how that damn work server allows all OS to connect using automatic settings without setting each dns to the ip of the server pmsl. :pancake:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

We have done it!! lol

No worries ;)

Just goes to show how easy it is to look far too deep into technical posiblitys & overlook a typo pmsl.

All working 100%

Now to find out how that damn work server allows all OS to connect using automatic settings without setting each dns to the ip of the server pmsl. :pancake:

ive done it many of times... its sometimes better to just look at the simple things as you say lol :)