iPod Touch/iPhone Jacks

caled

Hi all

The earphone jack on my iPod Touch 2nd Gen has decided to start playing up, the left channel keeps going on and off. Froom googling it, it seems like quite a common problem whereby the pins that connect with the earphone jack are bent slightly back with use.

Got mine booked in at the Apple Genius Bar tomorrow afternoon, just want to get a price to get it fixed off them.

Question is, anyone on here had theirs repaired before? How much is this likely to set me back? Knowing Apple, it could be a bloody fortune...

Ta :cheers:

Over 18 months old :-(

You never know, they might be fine with it being that far out of warranty, their customer services are second to none. My ipod touch went belly up a while back, so i took it into their shop where they changed it over there and then for a brand new one. They didnt even ask to see a receipt.

Well, my missus took my iPod into the arndale apple store's genius bar for its appointment. After a brief fiddle and clean out, they said that it was the jack that was on its way out (which i already knew, "genius" bar...?). They also said that these couldnt be fixed (!!). They did however offer me a replacement 8GB 2nd Gen for £82... don't know if this involves a trade in or what, but I might just get another one.

Anyway, having decided that there is now nothing left to lose, I thought I'd have a fiddle and see what I could do. Cracked open the case (not literally, it pops out) and dismantled the thing. Spotted the jack and everything, had a quick fiddle around trying to bend the pins back into place aaaand... well, I'm listening to it as we speak :D

I'm going to replace the whole jack unit, so I went on ebay and found new ones being sold for £4.99 delivered. Result. So I'll solder that in when it gets here and hopefully it'll be all good as new.

And who said you can't replace the iPhone battery? There are spares for those on ebay...

Well, my missus took my iPod into the arndale apple store's genius bar for its appointment. After a brief fiddle and clean out, they said that it was the jack that was on its way out (which i already knew, "genius" bar...?). They also said that these couldnt be fixed (!!). They did however offer me a replacement 8GB 2nd Gen for £82... don't know if this involves a trade in or what, but I might just get another one.

Anyway, having decided that there is now nothing left to lose, I thought I'd have a fiddle and see what I could do. Cracked open the case (not literally, it pops out) and dismantled the thing. Spotted the jack and everything, had a quick fiddle around trying to bend the pins back into place aaaand... well, I'm listening to it as we speak :D

I'm going to replace the whole jack unit, so I went on ebay and found new ones being sold for £4.99 delivered. Result. So I'll solder that in when it gets here and hopefully it'll be all good as new.

And who said you can't replace the iPhone battery? There are spares for those on ebay...

Nice one. Always satisfying when you fix things like this yourself. how easily did the case pop open?

Edited by eetaylog

Right, just done it

Consistent sound to the left and right earbuds, so, all fixed! Woot.

Apple said it couldnt be fixed and a refurbished replacement would be £82. I fixed it myself for £4.99. Hm. Win.

The iPod itself came apart easily enough, just need some fine screwdrivers, or better yet, one of those plastic iPod opening tools that you can get on ebay (I already had the screwdrivers, so that bit was free). There is a rubber/plastic thingy that lines around the touchscreen part of the iPod, and that bit gets broken apart a bit but it doesnt seem to affect the iPod at all.

Ok, some pictures for those that are interested. The insides of the iPod Touch looks like this:

http://www.evo-host.co.uk/getimg/24486.jpg

The offending earphone jack is located in the top right.

Here it is after I've removed the knackered earphone jack. The soldered joints are absolutely tiny, in the top right hand corner there is a pair of tweezers for scale.

http://www.evo-host.co.uk/getimg/24487.jpg

And the new jack soldered in place:

http://www.evo-host.co.uk/getimg/24488.jpg

All seems to be working so far, can twiddle about the earphones and they always have sound in both channels, and everything else works the way it should. All good, well chuffed!