Stop the Broadband Con

smithyandco

IIRC Virgins 'fair use policy is only for peak times, my parents have the 20mb package and ahve never had any issues for usage.

Sky's current unlimited package has no cap/fair usage, I read the terms and conditions and have also abused it for months without any e-mails or letters about it.

Yes it does.

no its doesnt.. unless your on sky lite or connect and they both clearly tell you what your limits are anyway on the webiste and also in the small print...

Sky Broadband: Monthly usage caps: Everyday Lite – 2GB; Connect – 40GB & subject to Traffic Management Policy. Maximum upload speed: Everyday Lite and Unlimited –1.3Mb; Connect –448Kb. Speed you get depends on factors including distance from the exchange and line quality. See sky.com for more details and our Usage Policies.

if you have the unlimited package there is no cap at all and i had that confirmed by a friend who works for sky before i signed up.

I never said it had a cap, my whole input here has refered to fair usage.

I have yet to find an ISP without some form of usage policy sky included (all packages).

sky was on the gadget show about their 'unlimited' fair use policy has been removed >> click

So this is still in place?

I only ask as that threads over two years old now & I seem to remember being tempted into sky's "unlimited" policy until I dug a bit deeper to discover the loving "fair usage policy"?

What the hell, it's run by Virgin but Virgin are one of the main culprits?

That's my main point! :roll:

Secondly, I don't so much mind about the fair use policy as long as I don't recieve letters. I do not abuse my connection with illegal sharing, although I do use Torrent networks for sharing beta copies of our software as a publisher... (I'm sure there is irony in there also...) Which means I will be chew through artificial limits like a 'Nam vet in a room with anything Asian...

The main reason for this is the fact that one copy of the software can be as much as 30Gb... Even on an "unlimited" server that's quite a task(for starters it would take a week to upload to the server) It's easier to use Torrent software as a distributed download manager.

As we use the works connection (1.5mb u/l) and my will be using my connection for this (5mb u/l) I am fully expecting the "Your illegally sharing" letters to pop through my door.