Wireless CCTV, Iphone4, IP Q?

900ss

I've tried to explain this as best I can, as I'm not up on pc techie stuff

I've installed a home 4ch dvr cctv setup that broadcasts? its images to my pc and iphone4 (with installed app)

So far so good as I've worked out how to view the cameras images on my iphone, but only as long as I stay with in range of my home wireless network connection.

I can also view the camera images over the net? via my home pc by entering my ip addy and password etc.

What I still can't get me head around is how I can get it to work via normal 3G (assuming that's what you call it?) past my routers wifi range.

Or via normal web as again I cant use it outside my home network connection

At first it wouldn't work but after faffed about with my home router wireless settings I got the program to work.

Am I wrong in thinking it's just the home router settings that's stopping me seeing the images over the net ?

Or is there mow to it then that?

you need to have a 3g streaming allowed by your network provider which might cost more give them a phone and see?

you should still be able to see images from the device but not stream due to 3g issues

you will need to add your dvr box to a dmz on your router then use a ddns provider so that your ip address can be located with the outside internet unless your ip address is static

you need to have a 3g streaming allowed by your network provider which might cost more give them a phone and see?

you should still be able to see images from the device but not stream due to 3g issues

So you're saying as it is I should atleast see static or very slow images, or am I reading your reply wrong ?

you will need to add your dvr box to a dmz on your router then use a ddns provider so that your ip address can be located with the outside internet unless your ip address is static

Thats way over my head lol

Yes I've connected the dvr to the my home router by a cable

The rest you've lost me on ?

no cause you haven't set it the rest of it up yet. because you phone hasnt got the location (ip address) it wont be able to view the dvr box till its set up.

there is a thing on your router is like an open port (dmz) that allows outside traffic to connect to your dvr which has its own log on screen with usernames and passwords

ddns is used so that if you ip address changes the outside world will be able to find your dvr box.

what equipment are you using? bt home hub, virgin router stuff like that?

no cause you haven't set it the rest of it up yet. because you phone hasnt got the location (ip address) it wont be able to view the dvr box till its set up.

I added what I think is my routers ip address to the iphones app to allow the program to work

i.e 192.168.1.10 was the number used before it would work

Or is that a diffo ip again?

there is a thing on your router is like an open port (dmz) that allows outside traffic to connect to your dvr which has its own log on screen with usernames and passwords

ddns is used so that if you ip address changes the outside world will be able to find your dvr box.

what equipment are you using? bt home hub, virgin router stuff like that?

I have braodband Virgin cable with my own Lynsys router. At first the router had the wireless turned off untill I tried to get this to work

I've looked at that router log on screen, but as most of it I didn't understand I left the settings alone (apart from turn wifi on)

That took me 2 days to work out how to get it's wireless to work lol

the ip address could be anything in that range.

log onto the dvr box set the static ip address of 192.168.1.10

you will need to log onto your linksys router and set the 192.168.1.10 to the dmz or portforward it. you will need to find the model number and google something like linksys (model xx) dmz

I thought I had it then lol

dvr is 192.168.1.10

I can type in http://192.168.1.10/ and log into it, atleast I think thats what you call it?

This is the same router which I just enabled DMZ with the same 192.168.1.10

http://screenshots.portforward.com/Linksys/WRT54GSv4/DMZ.htm

I walked down the road and it went out of range

Edited by 900ss

Yeah, you need to use the IP adress your internet connection is using... Go to www.whatismyip.com

Use that IP address in your web browser instead of 192.168.1.10...

192.168.1.10 is local to your network.. as soon as you go out of range of your router you need to use that external IP address