Running 3 lcd display's

PeeWee

Ok here is my situation.

I have my pc with both vga & dvi outputs on an integrated Ati radeon 2100.

I can run two 19" monitors fine using this setup.

Now my problem.

I set up a third monitor and installed a pcie Ati card.

I can now run the monitor from the intergrated vga outpu and the 3rd monitor from the pcie ati agp output but the monitor running from the integrated dvi output will not run.

I have adjusted the bios to run fine but I can't get the dvi to output unless I remove the pcie card.

Both sets of ati drivers are installed fine. Why wont the dvi output along with both vga outputs?

Would a vga adapter fitted to the integrated dvi work or would the port till be disabled?

Thanks for any ideas you may come up with as im a bit puzzled?

your going to struggle to get an low spec onboard to do what you want pete. I've not manage to do what your trying to do before. onboard stuff always cocks it up

Aye!

I was happy to see the entire onboard ati had not been disabled (like many do) by the presence of the pcie card.

Maybe Ill just have to find another pcie card with two outputs, shame though as this one was just sat here.

The annoying bit is, I would understand and accept the entire onboard gpu disabled as it's not uncommon, but having one vga port enabled and the dvi not still tempts me to investigate a workaround seeing as both cards are installed perfectly & running side by side so to speak?

Would a dvi to vga adapter on the onboard dvi have any affect (in essence then running 3 vga), im guessing not?

Edited by PeeWee

does the pcie card have dvi? i ask because my 4890 has only dvi's, i assume if yours does then i would guess the pcie has taken over

No dvi's on the pcie card. onboard has one dvi & one vga, both work running two monitors perfect until the pci is fitted then the dvi doesnt work but the onboard vga and pcie vga are fine.

only thing i can suggest would be a bios update but then it may actually fully disable the intergrated one. (as i would have thought it would have done anyway)

Yes lots disable the whole integrated card which is why I thought "great I have a spare pcie card" so thought I could do this with no cost. I can get another pcie card for around £28 posted new with both dvi & vga output so I can use the internal vga and pcie vga & dvi to push three 19" monitors with any luck.

This isn't for the greed facter by the way its actually needed for what I do on that particular PC.

There is another ways in which you could gain a 3 screen setup... even use all three screens in games or other full screen applications.

1. Stick a matrox TripleHead2Go on the DVI or VGA port of your onboard GPU or dedicated card and feed that to the the monitors you have.

Only requirements are that all three monitors must support the same resolution... Ideally all be the same monitor or it'll look fairly shite.

They support full native 16:10, 16:9 & 4:3 resolutions so 3x 1680x1050 would be 5040x1050. So it doesn't "stretch" your display, instead it increases the width.

2. Find a budget eye-infinity ATI/AMD card and running 3 screens of that gaining the same effect... but could lead to issues like changing the PSU (possibly a pain if it's a manufactured PC with non-standard size PSU... along with case space (ie: fitting as full size ATI card with 3 or more outputs in a half-height case).

Personally I have never seen or attempted a 3 screen setup using a dedicated card and onboard GPU since the days when 8x AGP was the dog's non-castrated boswalocks... and that was just for a "bet it won't work" moment in my early adolescence...

It worked back then... Showing 2 screens "on ATI Radeon 9800 Pro ~128MB" and 1 screen "on ATI RAGE 128 Pro ~8MB"

There is another ways in which you could gain a 3 screen setup... even use all three screens in games or other full screen applications.

1. Stick a matrox TripleHead2Go on the DVI or VGA port of your onboard GPU or dedicated card and feed that to the the monitors you have.

Only requirements are that all three monitors must support the same resolution... Ideally all be the same monitor or it'll look fairly shite.

They support full native 16:10, 16:9 & 4:3 resolutions so 3x 1680x1050 would be 5040x1050. So it doesn't "stretch" your display, instead it increases the width.

2. Find a budget eye-infinity ATI/AMD card and running 3 screens of that gaining the same effect... but could lead to issues like changing the PSU (possibly a pain if it's a manufactured PC with non-standard size PSU... along with case space (ie: fitting as full size ATI card with 3 or more outputs in a half-height case).

Personally I have never seen or attempted a 3 screen setup using a dedicated card and onboard GPU since the days when 8x AGP was the dog's non-castrated boswalocks... and that was just for a "bet it won't work" moment in my early adolescence...

It worked back then... Showing 2 screens "on ATI Radeon 9800 Pro ~128MB" and 1 screen "on ATI RAGE 128 Pro ~8MB"

I need these screens to display a spread of the desktop over three areas, not the same display on all three if that makes sense. Wont putting a multi output adapter on a vga/dvi port just replicate the same screen twice? Also how much are these matrox adapters as I can get a multi output ati card for less that £30.

Edit: Pmsl I just googled the matrox, have you seen just how much they are? You must me joking surely. :unsure:

Edited by PeeWee