Track Rod!

Slik Johnson

Not play in my N/S Track Rod (as well as it being bent, somehow) Ive got a brand new one to go on but I cant get the old one off. Where the end of the Track Rod attatches to the steering shaft, its completely round and I cant get it to shift. Ive had the grips on it but cant get it to budge.

I have a feeling I may have to take the whole steering rack off and just replace the whole lot but want your thoughts on it

i have had to do both sides of my car, the passenger side came off easier with a pair of stiltsens as i could get in to get a grip on it, the passenger side you can't really get anythin in to get a hold of it so i used a hammer and a chisel to knock it free then a pair of vice grips when it was loose

when i put the new one on i filed two flats onto it to get a 32mm spanner on it to nip it up :cheers:

No track rod to steering (oppostie end to the track rod end)

Ive thought about heating it but first I need to buy a small torch but even then Im a bit worried about the tight space and the brake lines next to it all

Ahh i see what you mean now.

A pair of stiltons would be the best bet. But if that fails, apply a bit of heat to it, don't get it red hot or anything.

Ive thought about heating it but first I need to buy a small torch but even then Im a bit worried about the tight space and the brake lines next to it all

A pair of stiltons would be the best bet. But if that fails, apply a bit of heat to it, don't get it red hot or anything.

I Have Always Been Under The Impression You Shouldn't Heat Suspension Items?

I Have Always Been Under The Impression You Shouldn't Heat Suspension Items?

Just aswell track rods are for steering then ;)

So basicly your all saying Im not trying hard enough lol.

Whats a stilton? I had mole grips on super tight but couldnt grip.

Im liking the idea of file, chassil and hammer

Sorry about the spelling.

These - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plumbers-36-Stil...=item3a6d7275bd

You can get smaller versions etc, but basically, you set it to the size of the shaft, and rotate it until it grips in, and you can turn it. Good bits of kit they are, i use them all the time.