Cheapest place for memory?

McRic

I bought a new pc for the office for general surfing a few months ago.

As I was on a budget and the spec was suffice I went for a Compaq sg3-320uk.

The system spec is as follows.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name USER-HP

System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard

System Model SG3-320UK

System Type x64-based PC

Processor AMD Athlon II X2 245 Processor, 2900 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 6.01, 23/04/2010

SMBIOS Version 2.6

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United Kingdom

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"

User Name user-HP\user

Time Zone GMT Standard Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 1.75 GB

Available Physical Memory 651 MB

Total Virtual Memory 3.50 GB

Available Virtual Memory 2.04 GB

Page File Space 1.75 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I have now just got into photography and installed CS5 which this system is struggling with.

Hitting good old google what I can see is that this system will support 8gb of memory (2 banks of 4gb)

This should speed up cs5 I would think?

Where's the best place to shop though? Wanting to do this on as cheap a budget as possible.

What brand should I go for or does it really not make a difference.

That's me all questioned out, I look forward to the words of wisdom from those in the know.

Go for it then, crucial as mentioned have an advisory tool in which you can then purchase at a fair price.

I'm assuming your planning rather intensive photo work, I never had many problems on PS 4 on 2gig ram if im honest and that was ddr1 or ddr2 speed comparef to your (assiming) dd3 speed ram?

(couldn't tell by the wee image you posted so taking your word on the 64 bit lol, looks like it)

Edited by PeeWee

Go for it then, crucial as mentioned have an advisory tool in which you can then purchase at a fair price.

I'm assuming your planning rather intensive photo work, I never had many problems on PS 4 on 2gig ram if im honest and that was ddr1 or ddr2 speed comparef to your (assiming) dd3 speed ram?

(couldn't tell by the wee image you posted so taking your word on the 64 bit lol, looks like it)

Gimmie a break I was chuffed I managed a screen grab lol.

I believe cs5 64bit is a hungry beggar, takes a wee while to open, then is far from rapid once on the go.

Reading summin online said it needs a minimum 8gb to run well.

All mention of CS5 say it requires 1gig Ram, Im wondering if something else in your system isn't performing well such as your gfx card?

bought the memory now so only time will tell lol

Well it will improve overall performance (in fact 4 gig probably would of been efficiant)

It wont really speed up your loading of the program I wouldn't think. (a decent ssd drive would).

It does seem like your gfx card is on board & sharing the ram, this means when you boot up OS the available ram left to run your system is minimal. Looking at your spec I would hazzard a guess that your gfx card is swiping 256meg of your 2gig ram on startup.

If serious about PS you could opt for a gfx card that carries its own ram onboard (512 & 1 gig cards can be had at low cost these days).

Edited by PeeWee