android firmware upgrade.

shawdreamer

aaaaaaaaaanywho.

missus has a GT-I5800 Samsung Galaxy 3 running OS 2.1 Eclair.

due to various reasons its becoming more and more likely that a firmware upgrade is needed to sort a few issue's.

One of the most pronounced and dare I say most "whinged about till I cant stand hearing it and want to throttle the life out of her" problems is the wi-fi connectivity issue she's been having.

in basic terms her phone happily connects to our house's wi-fi and works perfectly for upto 3-4 minutes at a time where upon it "hangs", this occurs during any process requiring a wi-fi connection, whether it be net browsing or app downloading which inturn forces her to turn of her wi-fi then restart it to continue with what she was doing before it hangs.

Ive tried various suggested solutions from multiple forums (ere included) to attempt to solve this issue but ultimately failed to completely resolve it evidently......now Im left with the only real remaining solution which is a firmware upgrade from the 2.1 Eclair OS to the 2.2 Froyo OS.

Now despite there being plenty of info and walkthroughs on how to accomplish this Ive found I have a particularly rare genetic disorder that prevents me doing so, its called "eyes glaze over when geeks start babbling about techie stuff as they've never had sex in their livesatosis" and can cause me obvious difficulties due to when I unavoidably fall unconscious due to abject tedious boredom from overly long winded "simple" guides for the upgrade.

so my question is this..... not knowing whether this upgrade is technically legal or not, what are my options for having it done by a shop?

Isnt there an option in settings to upgrade the firmware via Kies with the phone hooked up to your PC?

For what its worth, her wifi issue sounds very much like an IP address issue, have you tried giving it a static IP address as a test?

Edited by eetaylog

Isnt there an option in settings to upgrade the firmware via Kies with the phone hooked up to your PC?

For what its worth, her wifi issue sounds very much like an IP address issue, have you tried giving it a static IP address as a test?

aye that was one of the fix attempts, no notable difference.

Go for a custom firmware like gingerbread or something?

<feels eyes glaze....... screen becomes foggy........ begins to reel slightly.......grabs desk edge to retain upright posture>

..... heard it meantioned in the forums, have little or no knowledge of it.