Self Service Garages

Hi Guys

I have a workshop and I'm considering kitting it out with all the usual garage facilities, and renting out the bays on an hourly, daily, weekly etc basis.

I would appreciate your comments on whether you guys would use these sort of facilities.

We have 4 Bays, I was going to put 2 with lifts 1x 2 post 1 x 4 post and 2 without, we would also have paddock stands and a bike lift available

I would be looking to charge around the following amounts

£10 per Hour without a Lift

£18 per Hour with a Lift

all plus VAT

Open 7 days a week 24 hrs a day, so if you feel like changing you head at 3am you can.

We would provide most tools required some of as follows

A range of air tools

Socket sets

A complete range of hand tools inc spanners, screwdrivers oh and BIG HAMMERS

Sump plug kit

Spring Clamps

Trolly Jack

OBD II Code reader

Internet Access via PC or WiFi - we all have to use the forum sometimes

oh and Brew Gear (very important)

Engine Hoist,

Transmission Jack,

Parts washer

Oil drain cans,

Cam pulley locking kit

Caliper rewind tool

and a 20t Press

There is also a Mig welder and gas axe (under supervision from staff) kits available to hire

each bay will have a work bench with vice.

Would like to put a spray booth / oven in too!

We would also stock a range of service items and fluids etc and we also have a MOT station next door.

We have arrangements with local motor factors so we can get parts within an hour

I have a large list of local mechanics available if you are really stuck also.

We have technicians on site who can be called upon for £10 + vat per 15 mins if you need a little help.

Your comments are welcome

Thanks Allan

Edited by cheshiredigital

We used to have one up here about 10 years ago. It was massive but closed rather quickly.

I'd kill for one locally now.

I'd aim for 12 hours per day and at least an extra 50% on prices.

I think the downfall of our place was that it was too big and also open 24 hours. In reality nobody wants to change their head at 3am.

just one thing you will also be there 24hrs lol .will you be able to trust people with your gear and will you be able to put up with"can you just give me a hand "other than that in theory its a great idea with price of labour rates nowadays but in practice i think people will break your gear or steal it sorry to say

I think it's a good idea, but i'm not sure there would be a huge market for it. Also, at (with a ramp) £20 an hour + £10 for 15 minutes of time, it may be cheaper to pay someone else to do it.

Surely quite handy if your a mechanic needing premises and charge £50 per hour labour, if your only paying £18 with a lift that seems great taking into account you don't have no overheads after the £18?

I think it's a good idea, but i'm not sure there would be a huge market for it. Also, at (with a ramp) £20 an hour + £10 for 15 minutes of time, it may be cheaper to pay someone else to do it.

Surely quite handy if your a mechanic needing premises and charge £50 per hour labour, if your only paying £18 with a lift that seems great taking into account you don't have no overheads after the £18?

True, i was thinking of hobbyists more than qualified mechanics. However, down here we're charging £25 per hour i believe.

What I meant by 24 hrs is that the unit is available if pre- booked and I have staff on site anyway for my other business that we run from the site already, that business covers all the costs of the unit anyway, so its just another option for the space we have as we don't use all of it at the moment.

When booking the bay you would be asked what equipment you are likely to need, we can always source more kit if need be prior to arrival we can also get parts in prior also.

Thanks for the positive comments

I have quite a few mates that are mobile mechanics who are very interested maybe a couple of days a week, we are doing a lift bay for £80 + vat a day.

Great idea, alot of people like to e more hands on now with the economy the way it is.

But look into insurance first, I could see it being ALOT!

Liability insurance for public using air tools with no training.

I have a really good insurance broker, who has put a policy together, we have been told we must give an induction to equipment, etc and under certain cases supervision.

Insurance is high for our business anyway so its just adding a few more bits to what we already have.

Thanks

I think its not a bad idea but I wouldn't go any further than a secure bay and the lift, you can give a quick induction on the ramp and safety precautions then the rest is down to them.

Any tools you lend/lease would end up abused, broken and stolen, so its not worth it. If the people are mechanically capable they will have tools anyway

Also ensure you're covered with the insurance conditions and have a well written disclaimer for them to sign