car will only start when

martinw17

sounds like it may be have a lean mixture .poss have air leak, did it happen suddenly?

Yerr after changed gearbox mate

then im guessing its the pipe that runs from inlet manifold to crancase breather on front of engine under exhaust manifold . worth a look :thumb:

sounds like it may be have a lean mixture .poss have air leak, did it happen suddenly?

then im guessing its the pipe that runs from inlet manifold to crancase breather on front of engine under exhaust manifold . worth a look :thumb:

tar mate will jack car up tomoz and have a look will it be same on cvh engine thanks bud

tar mate will jack car up tomoz and have a look will it be same on cvh engine thanks bud

uh no just noticed that lol still worth checking all pipes though :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

carnt seem to c anything lads lol its wired baffled me when its warm start up fine but when cold will only start when give it some gas n have to feather throttle for few seconds 4 it to idol n after about 3000 rpm at a guess rev counter dnt work it kind of sticks n then come back off but its not pedal sticking or owt any one got any more ideas thanks again chaps

carnt seem to c anything lads lol its wired baffled me when its warm start up fine but when cold will only start when give it some gas n have to feather throttle for few seconds 4 it to idol n after about 3000 rpm at a guess rev counter dnt work it kind of sticks n then come back off but its not pedal sticking or owt any one got any more ideas thanks again chaps

If it starts fine when warm,but difficult when cold,it could be the coolant sensor.This informs the ECU if the engine is cold and enrichens mixture.It is in the back of the engine,on the inlet manifold,between runners 3 and 4.It is a bit awkward place.Try to unplug it and start the engine.From what you describe,it seems like the ECU doesn't enrich the mixture to warm the engine faster.It's like running a cold carbureted engine,with the chock off.

If it starts fine when warm,but difficult when cold,it could be the coolant sensor.This informs the ECU if the engine is cold and enrichens mixture.It is in the back of the engine,on the inlet manifold,between runners 3 and 4.It is a bit awkward place.Try to unplug it and start the engine.From what you describe,it seems like the ECU doesn't enrich the mixture to warm the engine faster.It's like running a cold carbureted engine,with the chock off.

do then start it from cold u mean and if it starts ok would it be a case of getting a new sensor thanks again mate

do then start it from cold u mean and if it starts ok would it be a case of getting a new sensor thanks again mate

Yes.Excuse my English. :nutter: Disconnect the sensor and try when the engine is cold.If it starts and idles better than with the sensor connected,then chances are that the sensor is not working as it should.If I understand correct,you said that when the engine is warm,and you try to start it,it starts and idles fine.Am I correct?

Yes.Excuse my English. :nutter: Disconnect the sensor and try when the engine is cold.If it starts and idles better than with the sensor connected,then chances are that the sensor is not working as it should.If I understand correct,you said that when the engine is warm,and you try to start it,it starts and idles fine.Am I correct?

hi if its like a single wire connecter quite far down tryed unpluging that n still no joy mate thanks

Yeap...that's the one...you must pull it firmly,since this has a safety lug.But not from the wire,pull the connector.It feels like it is gonna come off,but it doesn't!Take care of your hand,when it comes off,you can hurt it on the firewall,bolts in the surround area....well,I did.lol. Edited by Georgio