Pilot bearing removal

This morning I got round to the removal of the fly wheel. I was hoping to get it resurfaced today but apparently it's next day job and they're only open till 12.30 today (cost £25). I don't know if that's a decent price...... But I'm going to have to wait till Monday now for the machine shop to re-open :nutter: . I thought as they're cheap and I have the time I'd do the pilot bearing. ........... Now I don't have the correct tool and really don't want to spend money on the tool tbh :unsure: . Sooooo I've been watching these videos and from the comments and video the techniques, although erm...... unorthodox seem to be quite effective..... Video below :

Now........ I have a 1.6 Zetec 16v, adn the pilot bearing seems to be sunk alot deeper inside engine then the ones in the vehicles in the video. So I don't want to use this technique only to have to get a mechanic out and hims say ; "Mate, I know what was wrong with your clutch........ pilot bearings full of bread....".

So my question is will either of those techniques work? Or does anyone else have a top tip...... :cheers:

Cheers all

I'll give you a little background on the car to see what you think....... Basically I bought the car back in October last year. The car had 45,000 on the clock and the bloke had owned it from new. It had loads of history with it; as I was looking through it I discovered it had 4 new clutches in the past! This being it's 5th, that's one every 2 and a half years or one every 10,000 miles.(I did 25,000 miles on my old cars clutch! And the previous owner never changed it either and the car had done 120,000....still didn't need changing when I scrapped it!) I just can't get my head round why it's eating clutches. The reaon everyone reckons is..... Because he was an old man, so he must of rode it all the time? But surely still..... they wouldn't go that quickliy would they? Yeh the clutch was slipping badly so just a standard change.

One theory and I could be way off but. The clutch was adjusted so that the bite was right up at the top? It's a manual adjuster so that would mean that the clutch wasn't 100% engaging efficently? So my question is.. being poorly adjusted would this lead to excessive wear on the plate?

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f57/759759/IMAG0598.jpg

Cheers

I'll give you a little background on the car to see what you think....... Basically I bought the car back in October last year. The car had 45,000 on the clock and the bloke had owned it from new. It had loads of history with it; as I was looking through it I discovered it had 4 new clutches in the past! This being it's 5th, that's one every 2 and a half years or one every 10,000 miles.(I did 25,000 miles on my old cars clutch! And the previous owner never changed it either and the car had done 120,000....still didn't need changing when I scrapped it!) I just can't get my head round why it's eating clutches. The reaon everyone reckons is..... Because he was an old man, so he must of rode it all the time? But surely still..... they wouldn't go that quickliy would they? Yeh the clutch was slipping badly so just a standard change.

One theory and I could be way off but. The clutch was adjusted so that the bite was right up at the top? It's a manual adjuster so that would mean that the clutch wasn't 100% engaging efficently? So my question is.. being poorly adjusted would this lead to excessive wear on the plate?

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f57/759759/IMAG0598.jpg

Cheers

if its been burning out clutches due to poor driving then the flywheel has got hot so wont hurt to give it a skim. you will know its nice and flat then :thumb:

I will get it skimmed then, cheers for the input. For 25 quid I can't really complain. Am I right in saying it can only be skimmed so many times? The machine shop guy will advise me on this won't he?

For the amount you'll need, you could do it loads of times. Only needs to be 'until it's flat'

I will get it skimmed then, cheers for the input. For 25 quid I can't really complain. Am I right in saying it can only be skimmed so many times? The machine shop guy will advise me on this won't he?

as ahm says no worries about this one ,only ones to be carefull with are raised /recessed ones where you need to know the original depth of the raised/recessed area :thumb:

This morning I got round to the removal of the fly wheel. I was hoping to get it resurfaced today but apparently it's next day job and they're only open till 12.30 today (cost £25). I don't know if that's a decent price...... But I'm going to have to wait till Monday now for the machine shop to re-open :nutter: . I thought as they're cheap and I have the time I'd do the pilot bearing. ........... Now I don't have the correct tool and really don't want to spend money on the tool tbh :unsure: . Sooooo I've been watching these videos and from the comments and video the techniques, although erm...... unorthodox seem to be quite effective..... Video below :

Now........ I have a 1.6 Zetec 16v, adn the pilot bearing seems to be sunk alot deeper inside engine then the ones in the vehicles in the video. So I don't want to use this technique only to have to get a mechanic out and hims say ; "Mate, I know what was wrong with your clutch........ pilot bearings full of bread....".

So my question is will either of those techniques work? Or does anyone else have a top tip...... :cheers:

Cheers all

BREAD :nutter:

Pump the center hole in bearing with grease. Find a good fitting shaft or bar to fit the hole, rest it in the hole then hit it hard. Bearing will pop out like childs play as the grease cant get out.. hydraulics my man lol :thumb:

If it doesnt come out then your drift is not a good fit

My mates dad actually said to do it this morning. I hadn't heard of one prior. I couldn't see one thats why. I assumed it was deeper in the engine. So you are probably right, which is good news as it means the dismantling side of things is done :).

fwd boxes dont need a spigot bearing ,but ford kindly drilled a hole in the crankshaft so us old school ford owners could make them rwd by using a sierra spigot bearing :thumb:

Cheers all for your help. Dropped it off today and they said it will be done on Wednesday. Don't know why it takes so long as they do a head skimming service whilst you wait!! But their the experts so I can't question I suppose......

What they did say is the locating dowels sometimes snap when they come out "just to make me aware". Didn't think about it till I got back home but these are interchangeable right? lol. I imagine so but I've been reading about how tempremental flywheels are!!