Tappy zetec.....

Mike-evans

My 2.0l that I fitted around 3 weeks ago has developed a strange tapping noise....

Seems to be coming from cams area, but is very hard to exactly pin point it...

Oil level is ok..

Any ideas, areas to look?

does it quiet down after the engine is warmed up? a lot of zetec engines tick when they are cold and its not normally anything to worry about

Its extremely hard to pin point. Hard to listen for exact location while the engine is running......

Not 100% certain it is a tapping noise from the engine or something loose and vibrating etc......

Only noticed it when Ive got home from work, around a 15mile drive, havent really noticed if its making the noise first thing in the morning..

No it hasnt been sat for days, gets used every day..

Just need to reassure myself that the top end is getting sufficient amounts of oil.....how do I confirm?

With the oil fill cap off and engine running, I can see the end cam is covered in oil, but what about the others?

Its extremely hard to pin point. Hard to listen for exact location while the engine is running......

Not 100% certain it is a tapping noise from the engine or something loose and vibrating etc......

Only noticed it when Ive got home from work, around a 15mile drive, havent really noticed if its making the noise first thing in the morning..

No it hasnt been sat for days, gets used every day..

Just need to reassure myself that the top end is getting sufficient amounts of oil.....how do I confirm?

With the oil fill cap off and engine running, I can see the end cam is covered in oil, but what about the others?

Run it up, then take the cam cover off and have a look.

If it wasn't getting oil it would have probably damaged something by now, but always worth a check.

Don't be afraid to put your hands on things to feel for vibrations. Exhaust heat shield is a good example.

A way to determine if it's engine related is simply rev it up, if it's consistent with revs, you know it's engine/ancillaries.

You say its when you get home from work, how hard do you drive it on the way home?

Edited by Ahmotorsport

I've had a look around the bay whilst engine is running, holding exhasut manifold cover, timing belt/pulley cover etc.......

I've heard that injectors can create a clicking noise??

My Mrs was driving it the other day, and when she pulled up to park I could hear it (first time I noticed it), I though she hadnt fully engaged reverse, as it sounded like the gear was half engaged...

Its not consistent with the revs, as when I rev it up, the sound goes....Not driven hard at all on way home from work..

I've had a look around the bay whilst engine is running, holding exhasut manifold cover, timing belt/pulley cover etc.......

I've heard that injectors can create a clicking noise??

My Mrs was driving it the other day, and when she pulled up to park I could hear it (first time I noticed it), I though she hadnt fully engaged reverse, as it sounded like the gear was half engaged...

Its not consistent with the revs, as when I rev it up, the sound goes....Not driven hard at all on way home from work..

yeah injectors tick, doesnt mean they are on there way out, a friend of mine had a rover with a ticky injector, went on like that for yeaaaarrrrs