ford mondeo 2001 mk3 1.8

WAYNE1

hi

on xmas eve i pulled out froma street and the noise started, it is a metal grinding noise from drivers side front wheel, it sounds like it is the drive shaft, has when driving from cold it is realy noisey, but quietens down a little, i have looked around but cant see any damage or anything, no oil/grease leaks, so i was wondering if it could be the drive shaft that as failed, & grinding inside the boots, if anybody could give me any advice on this before i go and buy a drive shaft, just incase it isnt that.

its a mk3 mondeo 1.8 lx, thanks for reading, HOPE SOMEBODY CAN ADVICE ME .

haapy xmas & new year to you all aswell.

regards

wayne

no grease on cv joint perhaps, or even not enough.... would account for why it quietens after a while as the grease would become more viscous with warmth and coat the moving parts better

thanks will check when we get a dry day, hope it is that, cant afford to spend loads on the car with just being after xmas :-(

i had a simular thing on my mk3 mondeo, took me months to find it, turns out even tho there was no play i had a noisy wheel bearing, changed the bearing, no more noise!

thanks ryan, my mate has just said the same thing to me, it could be wheel bearing, or gearbox, but cant be gearbox, has there is no noise from the gearbox, just the d/s wheel, will check wheel bearing tomorrow and post the out come,

many thanks ryan, have a good new year pal

no grease on cv joint perhaps, or even not enough.... would account for why it quietens after a while as the grease would become more viscous with warmth and coat the moving parts better

thanks will check when we get a dry day, hope it is that, cant afford to spend loads on the car with just being after xmas :-(

Cv joints, bearings and driveshafts aren't exactly expensive to buy new............just a utter pain to change out without getting covered in shite :thumb:

You may wanna check your disc.s and pads to, see if there's any unevern wear to either or signs of a warped disc.

ere is a video with the noise that i am getting while driving, just to see if anyone can identify the problem from it,

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l120/waynej18870/th_IMG_0006_zps7b58a79c.jpg

ere is a video with the noise that i am getting while driving, just to see if anyone can identify the problem from it,

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l120/waynej18870/th_IMG_0006_zps7b58a79c.jpg

http://s94.beta.photobucket.com/user/wayne...58a79c.mp4.html

I don't know what that is but Id be surprised if its any of the suggestions so far..... they typically produce rhythmic noises were as that sounds more like something loose bouncing about randomly.

check the bushes on your lower arms and arb links to make sure they haven't perished to a point were they can be visibly jiggled about.

after that Id check to make sure something isn't actually bouncing about in or near the wheel well area, maybe even near the cam cover or belt.

oh and driving even a short distance holding your phone out the window is NEVER clever and any rozzer can slap you with 3points and 60quid fine for just seeing you holding your phone while not in complete control of your vehicle.... just worth note for the future.

thanks shaw

i have had it looked at today from a mechanic, and he said it sounds like its the wheel bearing that has collapsed & shattered inside, even though there isnt much play in the wheel when jacked up. has that sometime happens, so i am going to change the wheel bearing first, if i can get the nut off, has it seems to have welded itself onto the drive shaft splind, local garage with power tools to release it will do the job,

i understand what your saying about driving while holding phone out the window, incase of police, catching me, it was done on my street, where you very rarely get any police driving round, unless called, wich is very unlikely where i live, but thanks anyway.

will post reply sometime this week when i have changed the wheel bearing, and HOPEFULLY rectified the problem.

thank you all for your help & advice,

and i wish you all a safe & very merry HAPPY NEW YEARS EVE,

all the very best.

regards

wayne

• 1 year later...