Renovating wiring loom

cherrybeard

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to conclude this topic.......I spent more time researching tools and techniques required to make up a loom from scratch than I cared to spend on the fabrication itself. It was going to cost upwards of £80 to buy wiring, connectors, associated tools and all the little pins. Some connectors were impossible to get hold of brand new or were priced way too high to just buy a single one. I am only talking about the injector harness here, to make up a full engine loom would probably be hundreds of pounds and a fair few hours of work.

I bought a second hand loom, took the best condition connectors and wiring from two looms and married them together, cleaning up all the connecting pins as I went along. The engine runs much smoother now and I had a very slight misfire which is also gone. Before the loom change, the first slight touch on the accelerator pedal would make the car miss or stumble slightly but that has disapeared.

One word of caution with the heat shrink tubing that comes with an adhesive inside. If you make a poor crimped connection and want to get the tubing off, don't bother. Cut off either end and splice in a new piece. Not great to have lots of crimped connections in a small span of wire but for now, the loom I butchered seems to be performing much better than the old one.