RS2000 Gearbox Help

scott_j_g

Hi all

I have an 1995 RS2000. Against my better judgement I let my mate do an oil change (try to do an oil change). I think he has drained the gearbox oil instead of the engine oil. A small amount of oil (2-3 litres) was drained from a plug on the bottom of the gearbox then 5 litres of oil was added to the engine. the car now has way to much oil in it and none in the gearbox

My main question is can anyone tell me where the filler is for the gearbox oil? i located a rubber cap on the top of the box that comes off very easily and looks like it could be a filler but i am unsure.

The car has been driven about 7 miles since this failed oil change. When you get to over 3,000 rpm white smoke comes bellowing out the exhaust, i put this down to the oil being massively overfilled and there is a loss of power in the car too. as soon as i spotted his mistake the car was put strait in the driveway but could this run have caused any damage to the box?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

drain the oil out of the engine and refill it with the correct amount. there should be a filler on the front of the gearbox.

also where abouts are you?

Thanks for the advice. I have drained the engine oil and put fresh oil in and toped up the gearbox oil as much as i possible could although it didnt take as much as i thought it would. car seems to be running perfectly fine now. The white smoke that i was getting before has gone gears are nice and smooth i think i dodged a bullet.

Im in Edinburgh.

Thanks

Scott