Blanking of egr

mikes-fat-arsed-estate

Is there any benefit at all of for get the idea?

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn129/allanmichealsmith/0A06BF6A-EED1-49EC-B7ED-AAD593CDF6BF-3455-00000436BBFCDCD1_zpsd76a2cff.jpg

Blanking plate or pull the vacuum hose & block it?

Opiniosn please.

Diesels are not emission tested , they do how ever preform a smoke test where they will rev it quite high & just do a visual check.

aye thats what I was referring too, I wasnt pointing toward the CO2 version petrols are privy too.

doesnt removing the egr increase the general temp of the following outlay of exhaust port gases? (iirc the egr feeds burnt gases from the exhaust manifold back into the inlet side of the head to reduce the combustion temp and create a more efficient burn in the chamber?

Im leaning on knowledge I picked up while running the Avensis diesel line at Toyota but I have to admit I had very little involvement in the engines mechanics or rarely manually covered for missing line members :pancake:

wouldnt the loss of the egr therefore result in a abndance of unburnt gasy plumes flying out the cars ar5e every time you put your foot down?

any one have a link to where i can buy the plates ? im guessing no one would recommend just blocking the hose of? also where does this vaccum hose lead to is it the one that sits on the side of your airbox?

after a few extra mods on my passat i had my map tweaked the guy from big fish remapps said regarding blanking the egr on the passat as long as ive not been expeiencing any problems with it , he could just remove it from the ecu apparently its just as good ,

Blanks can be had on ebay.. however I made my own blanks used the bolts and gaskets and blanked them off.. egr after loads of mileage just gunks up the inlet looks like black tar. Im now running a focus inlet and had the egr welded up on that too

Yes I had the pleasure in cleaning mine up Sunday morning. That's what made me bring the question up , eBay was the 1st place I thought of but was not bringing any thing up apart from the egr's them selfs , so if any one can help with a link it would be much appreciated :)

• 1 month later...

I've also removed / blanked the egr on my TD engine and cleaned up the inlet.

Due to the build up of carbon / gunk / soot etc. the egr valve eventually sticks or fails altogether so its often more economical to blank it than replace it.

EGRs normally are only active at low revs anyway, so you wont notice much effect with it gone.

Jas