Selling a car

eetaylog

It's not insured simple as that really, your still responsible for the car as the legal owner.

Unless the person can produce insurance covering him to drive any car (this does not include the type that most policies include seeing as that requires the car to also be insured by the legal owner).

This is no different to letting some random person drive around uninsured in your car, you have no proof that the person driving is purchasing the car, also if it is involved in a bump with someone else who would you think is responsible for the insurance?

Thought so, cheers pete. Didnt know whether there was 3rd party cover on someone elses car if the viewer was fully comp on their own vehicle.

I think they prob would be covered 3rd party if they fully comp but you cant guarantee they are. Plus like peewee said, I 'think' it must be insured by said owner.

TBH I wouldnt let them take it out. Why not quickly ring the insurance and say your selling the car and you'd like cover for a week or so. They can do that, you dont have to take out a whole year at a time!

We did that a few weeks back to get the car home from the viewing that my missus was doing on the car she just bought. Trouble is they only do a 2 week minimum cover for £35.

Unless your a motor trader (and even them sometimes they require a phonecall before you can drive each new car) then the car has to have insurance on it first. Otherwise, you could buy a fiesta, get insured to drive any car and then drive round in your ferrari for £200 insurance a year.

I have used tempcover.com for a days insurance before but that was a few years ago, not sure if they still offer single days.