Failed Emissions - another one

Sukhi1972

Hi,

My 98 1.8 Si has just failed on emissions.

Different failure reason to the post a few down the list hence starting a new one. My figures (after a decent run at highish revs) were;

CO - 0.463 - FAIL

HC - 68 - PASS

Lamda - 1.005 - PASS

Cars done 130k, owned from new so know that it's been generally looked after.

It failed last year and a new lambda solved it then. (NGK plug & play version and not a universal one)

Car runs well, starts/idles well etc. New air filter, could do with an oil change.

Only issue is the temp guage has a mind of it's own about 50% of the time....never goes over half (unless in traffic), fan kicks in when required etc but temp guage is normally in the lower half of the guage. However on MOT day it was fine and sat halfway or higher when idling on the ramp.

Would this cause the CO level to fail?

If not any other ideas? I've been told that high CO/Low HC is a definite air leak. Had a nosey around can't find anything obvious.

I've put Redex in the tank, will run for a few days (20 mile commute) & see if that makes a difference.

Would a new Lambda sort it (even if 12 months old) I took it out to check, light brown not sooty at all

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Hi,

My 98 1.8 Si has just failed on emissions.

Different failure reason to the post a few down the list hence starting a new one. My figures (after a decent run at highish revs) were;

CO - 0.463 - FAIL

HC - 68 - PASS

Lamda - 1.005 - PASS

Cars done 130k, owned from new so know that it's been generally looked after.

It failed last year and a new lambda solved it then. (NGK plug & play version and not a universal one)

Car runs well, starts/idles well etc. New air filter, could do with an oil change.

Only issue is the temp guage has a mind of it's own about 50% of the time....never goes over half (unless in traffic), fan kicks in when required etc but temp guage is normally in the lower half of the guage. However on MOT day it was fine and sat halfway or higher when idling on the ramp.

Would this cause the CO level to fail?

If not any other ideas? I've been told that high CO/Low HC is a definite air leak. Had a nosey around can't find anything obvious.

I've put Redex in the tank, will run for a few days (20 mile commute) & see if that makes a difference.

Would a new Lambda sort it (even if 12 months old) I took it out to check, light brown not sooty at all

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

that's not a million miles from a pass i would think a italian road test would probably cure that :thumb:

Those figures are after a bit of a thrash...first CO figure was 0.528 & HC 81.

Got it down to .463 after a 20 mile run at 70 odd in 3rd gear......don't think its been driven that hard for years...

Drive it hard to work & back this week and see if it helps...

MOT due on Saturday so may get a Lambda just in case

Thanks

Temp sender (underneath the stat housing for a 1.8) is about £25 and I had similar problems with the temp gauge reading far too low. Although currently, my gauge reads much lower than before I changed the water pump and flushed the cooling system through so if your cooling system is in good order it could be this. The sender doesn't affect the fan or emissions.

It could be a duff lambda from new as it happened to me. There are some rubbish ones out there on ebay. Although one or two are ok.

The resistance value should be 2.0-5.0 ohms. This can be found testing pins 37 and 40, the bottom 2 pins, whilst the switch is disconnected. You would find a few of these ebay universal lambda start at around 6 ohms, which isn't acceptable.

Thanks for your help.

Got it sorted in the end...put some redex in tank....used it daily for 20 mile commute.....on day of test...did about 15 miles keeping it in a low gear....4000+rpm...thinking that could do it......took it for test....figures a lot lower but still not a pass...MOT guy says he'll take it around the block for a thrash...less than 5 minutes later comes back...passes.....job done for another year.

Italian road test worked......obviously the MOT guy far more Italian than me

Edited by Sukhi1972

LOL, hmmm, the MOT guy just wanted to take your motor for a spin :)

Or unless your thrashing is a bit too timid.

Thanks for your help.

Got it sorted in the end...put some redex in tank....used it daily for 20 mile commute.....on day of test...did about 15 miles keeping it in a low gear....4000+rpm...thinking that could do it......took it for test....figures a lot lower but still not a pass...MOT guy says he'll take it around the block for a thrash...less than 5 minutes later comes back...passes.....job done for another year.

Italian road test worked......obviously the MOT guy far more Italian than me