Plasma Dials

coxyrs

luminescent paint is only effective for short periods of time and must be periodically exposed to a source of long-wave UV light for it to acquire enough energy to iluminate.

also the glow it produces is by no means strong enough to overpower the light created by Plasma dials.

your only option really is to use UV led's of good light output (minimum of one each dial imo) and whited needles to stand any chance of using your gauges practically (Id expect that to be only effective on black background dials though, as the UV light would also illuminate white faced dials aswell as the needles).

personally Id avoid the whole Plasma approach as IMHO they produce why to many problems to justify "the look" they produce.

A very similar, more controlled result can be achieved by altering your current dials backlighting from the standard underpowered clear bulbs to high intensity LEDs.

like so....

http://www.evo-host.co.uk/getimg/28402.jpg http://www.evo-host.co.uk/getimg/28412.jpg

that was with my mk5's gauge cluster....obviously the same can be done with Mk6 black&white dials.

handy.....If you still want to actually see what the gauges are showing after your done. :pancake:

Sometimes shaw you come out with some really clever or helpful stuff.......makes me question if it was actually u that posts it. Im used to your ......ahem 'less serious' self lol

sometimes?

my shits always useful!

even when Im abusing someone its entirely unselfish and completely for their own good.

the cheap way "how to" clicky

• 2 weeks later...
luminescent paint is only effective for short periods of time and must be periodically exposed to a source of long-wave UV light for it to acquire enough energy to iluminate.

also the glow it produces is by no means strong enough to overpower the light created by Plasma dials.

your only option really is to use UV led's of good light output (minimum of one each dial imo) and whited needles to stand any chance of using your gauges practically (Id expect that to be only effective on black background dials though, as the UV light would also illuminate white faced dials aswell as the needles).

personally Id avoid the whole Plasma approach as IMHO they produce why to many problems to justify "the look" they produce.

A very similar, more controlled result can be achieved by altering your current dials backlighting from the standard underpowered clear bulbs to high intensity LEDs.

like so....

http://www.evo-host.co.uk/getimg/28402.jpg http://www.evo-host.co.uk/getimg/28412.jpg

that was with my mk5's gauge cluster....obviously the same can be done with Mk6 black&white dials.

handy.....If you still want to actually see what the gauges are showing after your done. :pancake:

hello just looking at this as I was going to go for some plasma dial myself, I have no idea how to anything with lights or fitting things but im trying to learn how do you do it, I prefer yours to the plasma, I have a mk6

Thank you

i swapped mine to white digi dials from a puma, unfortunately i still have that awful green haze which i do plan to change for blue ones

theres a further mod I was playing with along the backlight idea but I havnt gone any further than "messin about"

what about backlighting that can be essentially changed to any colour in the spectrum at whim?

one day you can be manly red?

the next cool blue?

the next still bumbandit pink?

Ive got a bit more time on my hands now with reduced workload so I might take it a bit further than the "messin about" stage in the next week and see just what the costs and results are like.

if there's enough interest Ill write it up when Im done.

like the rgb colour slider type thing?

that would be awesome, i have that function on my keyboard lol

your keyboards bumbandit pink?

:unsure: queer :unsure:

if i wished it to be, then i could adjust the colour sliders until it was......bumbandit pink. i could also make it say uuum clitoris pink if i rly wanted to. or poo brown. any colour of the rainbow