pc help plz

bongo

rightguys bit of help needed, my pc flashed up the dreaded blue screen and now refuses to start,so not knowing much i thought it might be hardware problem so i removed ce,rtain things to eliminate,put my old memory back in etc tried another harddrive,still to no avail,my father in law thinks its my motherboard as there's some buldging capacitors on the board,but my main worry is my harddrive,if its knackered have i lost everything on it? but i tried it in my old system which started and it shows my hard drive,but when i click on it it asks me do i want to format it? does this mean its ok.

Make a note of the long numbers on the blue screen of death and look them up on msdn - tells you what wrong - well sort of

Here's the link to msdn with all the error numbers for windows explained.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc...6(PROT.10).aspx

The pages are difficult to navigate, so download the pdf and search that. There is a link to the pdf at the top of the page:

Click here to view this version of the [MS-ERREF] PDF.

right fellas my code 0x9000009c relates to DEVICE DATA ERROR or bad blocks on my hard drive.they say to solve this i must use autochk,but am i right in thinking you need the windows disk for this? if so i cant find it,i have genuine windows,is there anyway round this?

thanks