Sata HDD fails to import

eetaylog

My boot disk died on me the other day so i spent the day yesterday reinstalling XP and all my drivers & codecs on my system. Ive got 2 x 1Tb internal sata drives as well (samsung spinpoint F1's) that i keep all my films and music on, but when i tried to import them in disk management, one of them was fine, but the other one failed.

Theyre only a few weeks old, so i dont think theres a physical problem with the failed disk, and i dont really fancy formatting it ripping all my films again.

Any ideas?

my system is:

XP Pro

Gigabyte mobo

AMD X2 processor

GeForce 7600 GPU

NovaT-500 TV card

2Gb RAM

500Gb boot HDD

2 x 1Tb Dynamic disks

not right now, im at work, but basically i reinstalled xp on a new boot disk, then tried to import and activate the 2 foreign disks in disk management. one of them is now visible in my computer (with a drive letter etc), but i got an error when importing the other one, which said it had failed to import the disk, and to refer to the log for details. the log gave an 'unknown reason' though!

im tempted to just reinstall xp again and see if it does it again.

Edited by eetaylog

as i said from a complete reinstall of XP i have never ever had to do this even if i take a drive from one xp machine and into another.. internal sata or otherwise.... :unsure:

that's pretty irrelevant as he has an issue ;)

as i said from a complete reinstall of XP i have never ever had to do this even if i take a drive from one xp machine and into another.. internal sata or otherwise.... :unsure:

not really as he shouldnt have to do it in the first place. he may be doing something he shouldnt be in the first place is what i was implying.

not really as he shouldnt have to do it in the first place. he may be doing something he shouldnt be in the first place is what i was implying.

If things worked like they were meant to, then the majority of us IT geeks would be out of a job! :roll:

Did you install the SATA motherboard driver? Are they the latest version for the website, rather than the one supplied on the CD?

i installed the driver that came with the motherboard. shouldve done the trick idve thought.

whats interesting is that i installed XP on a spare HDD that i had laying around as a test beforehand, and it saw the disks no problem. ive now installed it onto a new disk (exactly the same model and size), and now im having this problem. Very odd. i can only think that one of the 2 disks mightve been unplugged when i installed the OS, so its got an issue with importing a disk that used to be part of the same group?

If things worked like they were meant to, then the majority of us IT geeks would be out of a job! :roll:

tell me about it. nothings EVER straight forward. im thiking of going and living in the woods away from technology :rolleyes: