PROBLEM - UNSURE IF MECHANICAL OR COSMETIC

fresh dfm

driving this morning there became a sudden noise, asif the wheel arch plastic had fallen and was scrubbing on my rear wheel, it was really loud and definately sounded like something scrubbing, it wasnt constant it was on off for about ten seconds. i pulled over and checked to see if anything was rubbing and there wasnt anything. i did a lap of the carpark and it was fine so i thought it may have been something i ran over got caught or something. however on the way home there was a sudden sound asif someone was firing an air compresser from the back of my car. a loud violent hiss, quick and sharp, then again asif something air compressed was leaking or my tyre or something. the tyre isnt going down and nothing is rubbing, looked underneath and as far as i could see everything looked normal but this hissing is happening every couple of minutes or so. is my car unsafe to drive??any ideas what it is? sorry if in the wrong section.

cheers

driving this morning there became a sudden noise, asif the wheel arch plastic had fallen and was scrubbing on my rear wheel, it was really loud and definately sounded like something scrubbing, it wasnt constant it was on off for about ten seconds. i pulled over and checked to see if anything was rubbing and there wasnt anything. i did a lap of the carpark and it was fine so i thought it may have been something i ran over got caught or something. however on the way home there was a sudden sound asif someone was firing an air compresser from the back of my car. a loud violent hiss, quick and sharp, then again asif something air compressed was leaking or my tyre or something. the tyre isnt going down and nothing is rubbing, looked underneath and as far as i could see everything looked normal but this hissing is happening every couple of minutes or so. is my car unsafe to drive??any ideas what it is? sorry if in the wrong section.

cheers

sounds like a suspension strut seals on its way out, have you lowered your motor?

cheers

sounds like a suspension strut seals on its way out, have you lowered your motor?

nah its not lowered mate..expensive to fix??

isit dangerous to be driving?

I wouldnt chance it personally, had a rear spring snap on me before now and it wasnt a pleasant experience even tho I was under 30mph at the time, my guess is a strut going would result in a similiar effect

daft question but aint most shocks oil filled!!!! so why would they leak air!!!!?????? i had a similar problem once and found a loose exhaust heat sheild beleive it or not !!! other thing is the hissing is comin from the rear of the car yes!? have you looked at your spare wheel to see if there is owt wrong with the tyre on that?. :unsure:

driven it round the block this morning and its not a compressed noise, when i listened more closely its a high pitched grind like if a train slammed its breaks on, im 97 percent sure its drivers side at the back and when it makes the noise the car slows asif i got the breaks slowly on. and the abs light has come on?? it realy isnt safe to drive atal the noise is so loud and it squells and bangs at the back and sometimes makes like a hiss. help.... please

cheers

check your rear brakes the shoes mite be low or if youve got discs the pads might be low either that or the piston in the drum might be seized mate

Its got drums at the back, rang my mate whos a mechanic and he said it could be the shoes or maybe a bearing or something broken up, either way im guessing to check im going to have to remove the drum, anyone done this? not done it before and dont know how comlicated it is or what special tools are needed.??