nikon d60

Danny1107

looking for opinions, anyone own one or had a go with one?

I was going to get a laptop with my EMA back pay from college but I've decided against it as for the spec I want i will need another £200 - £300 sticking on top of my budget, and to be fair i wouldn't use it too often.

but a nikon d60 falls nicely into my budget :) I've wanted to get into photography for some time and i bought a fujifilm s5800 last year and really like using it but I want to move up to a DSLR and I've heard the nikon d60 is a perfect starter and it doesnt cost the earth

I'll be looking to buy the camera with the 18-55mm vr lense that comes with it, was wondering what other lenses would be usefull to have? I mainly take photos of cars and scenery

I've got a D40 and its awesome. The stock 18-55 VR lens is fantastic and it the one i use the most.

I also have the 55-200 VR, is great for things like motorsport etc

what does the VR acctualy mean? i was looking at a deal what comes with the d60, 18-55mm vr, 8gb card and a 70-300mm lense costs around £500, was looking at this thinking it was a good deal as theres quite some savings there

found this on jessops, cheapest place i found for the d60

How serious are you about Photography?

Is it to do with your course?

If not then stick with the laptop plan & your s5800 (great camera & available lenses.)

I can recommend an excellent laptop if you tell me your budget with a stunning spec.

no its not and I dont need a laptop for the mechanics really, just the theroy part when I move onto level 2 and higher, so the laptop can wait for now

VR = Vibration Reduction. basically the slightest shake while taking a picture at full zoom can mean a major movement or blur. this helps limit it.

Maybe look at a D40....should be a fair bit cheaper, and don't be put of by the mere 6MP its still amazing!

just had a quick look on jessops and the D60 bundle i've been looking at (the £519 one) if you bought the d60 with 18-55 vr seperate to the 70-300mm lense and card it would cost near £650 (using the prices on jessops)

the D40 is quite abit cheaper than the D60, will do some thinking about that :)

how long does the battery last? it says on jessops it will last for up to 1800photos, not sure how much I trust that though

VR = Vibration Reduction. basically the slightest shake while taking a picture at full zoom can mean a major movement or blur. this helps limit it.

Maybe look at a D40....should be a fair bit cheaper, and don't be put of by the mere 6MP its still amazing!

just had a quick look on jessops and the D60 bundle i've been looking at (the £519 one) if you bought the d60 with 18-55 vr seperate to the 70-300mm lense and card it would cost near £650 (using the prices on jessops)

the D40 is quite abit cheaper than the D60, will do some thinking about that :)

how long does the battery last? it says on jessops it will last for up to 1800photos, not sure how much I trust that though

Maybe not 1800....but a 4GB mem card will give you about 1100 photos....and i think the battery will last most of that. they are quite epic on the battery life.

i also have the D40 and it is fantastic. It can handle quality photos up to A3/A4 without struggling on quality.

I have charged mine 2 or 3 times since i have had it, and i got it november/december time!! and I only charged it just incase it ran out!

The only thing with the DSLR is that the rapid shot isnt that rapid when using the flash. In natural light it is fantastic, but when using the flash you have to take your finger off the button and let it load. BUT this is still quicker than your average camera.

i agree with rob, go for the D40, and maybe add another lens. the 18-55mm is for near pics, maybe get a far lens (i want one). The D40 has a setting that enables you to take pics of moving things without blurring (sports mode).

the only difference between the D40 and D60 (except price) is the pixels, but Nikon make up for the "lack" of pixels with the excellent qulaity :thumb:

shop around for prices, i got mine from currys, but argos also sell the D40, and dont they have the free voucher too?

i also have the D40 and it is fantastic. It can handle quality photos up to A3/A4 without struggling on quality.

I have charged mine 2 or 3 times since i have had it, and i got it november/december time!! and I only charged it just incase it ran out!

The only thing with the DSLR is that the rapid shot isnt that rapid when using the flash. In natural light it is fantastic, but when using the flash you have to take your finger off the button and let it load. BUT this is still quicker than your average camera.

i agree with rob, go for the D40, and maybe add another lens. the 18-55mm is for near pics, maybe get a far lens (i want one). The D40 has a setting that enables you to take pics of moving things without blurring (sports mode).

the only difference between the D40 and D60 (except price) is the pixels, but Nikon make up for the "lack" of pixels with the excellent qulaity :thumb:

shop around for prices, i got mine from currys, but argos also sell the D40, and dont they have the free voucher too?

went into currys today and they didnt have the D40, but they had the D60 was the same price as jessops, but they didnt have any deals on with camera + an additional lense, going to have a look on jessops now see what deals there is with the D40

I'd say the D40 is a better starter camera. And its cheaper, like someone said dont let the 6mp put you off, the D60 just has a higher price tag and two million more MP. No that you'd notice any difference in the photographs between them.

Argos are doing a deal with an extra lense on the d40 at the moment. Have a look on there website, their dslr's are well cheap at the moment.

I'd say the D40 is a better starter camera. And its cheaper, like someone said dont let the 6mp put you off, the D60 just has a higher price tag and two million more MP. No that you'd notice any difference in the photographs between them.

Argos are doing a deal with an extra lense on the d40 at the moment. Have a look on there website, their dslr's are well cheap at the moment.

4million more MP :P

will look on argos, dont think I've acctualy looked there yet

Ahh you caught me out. I was looking at a website (cant find it now) that showed picture quality between the two and it wasnt noticable. The only noticable difference is the £100 less on the D40.. You wont be disapointed with it mate I promise you. Im just saving for more accesories for it. I've just got a UV and polorising lense for it.

Ahh you caught me out. I was looking at a website (cant find it now) that showed picture quality between the two and it wasnt noticable. The only noticable difference is the £100 less on the D40.. You wont be disapointed with it mate I promise you. Im just saving for more accesories for it. I've just got a UV and polorising lense for it.

I've got UV and Polorising filters for my s5800 and the polorising filter makes such a difference! if I go for the D40 I will buy it through argos as there seems the best place for the D40

Which ever cam I go for hopefuly I'll have it before FITP so I can give it a good try out there :)