Windows 7 Release Candidate

scottg17

Stoo, The laptop is running all the latest drivers.

Currently installing the test update, is availble from MS Update.

But its still prone to slow downs,

I've had to set it to run 'for best performance' for it to be usable with out being thrown out of the window !!

Test updates are well, test updates they don't do anything :P

You might be running the latest drivers but the hardware manufacturers might not have decent drivers out yet. I've ran win7 since the pre-beta stage and many of the leaks, even on an old celeron and the performance has always been really solid for me.

Did you do a fresh install or upgrade from Vista ?

There's nothing wrong with doing an upgrade. The reason clean installs appear quicker is because they don't have all the programs installed you had before. But once you install them all again, it'll be no different!

A fresh install is a much better idea I mean without it you’re going to be using the old registry with new registry fields merged into it, software that may or may not be compatible not to mention the possible driver issues you may encounter.

Granted that with the NT systems it might be not be all that bad any more but still for the amount of time your going to spend messing about and possible fault finding you may as well start from scratch.

Even just for the increase in speed its worth the format.