wireless adaptor not being recognised

onehotminute_191

my brother has a wireless card but doesnt have the drivers and the computer cannot recognise the card so its not appearing on the device manager.

are these card generic so any standard driver will work or are they all specific??

any help appreciated cheers

my brother has a wireless card but doesnt have the drivers and the computer cannot recognise the card so its not appearing on the device manager.

So it doesn't even show up in Device manager with a Yellow Exclamation mark, maybe marked as Unknown?

If not its either been fitted incorrectly or it's fudged as the computer will list it under Device Manager if it can see it, regardless of drivers.

As we talking a PCI wifi card in a desktop? a PCMCIA card in a laptop? a Mini PCI in a laptop? Or a USB one?

If I remember correctly there's some free software which identifies unrecognised hardware on your machine. Just can't remember the name of it off the top of my head...

Before that the machine needs to be aware of an installed device, as Bluliz rightly points out, in this case nothing is being picked up so even installing the correct driver wont help.

Depending what this wireless device is, insert it in another available slot & make sure its seated correct?

As for the free software to detect, there is a few but only trial so yes will identify & find the drivers but not retrieve them till you pay up.