cant update windows or mcafee

shawdreamer

It's done it's job... replaced the hosts file.... just to be sure.

Was done and posted before I realised you'd checked the hosts file... but it's done no harm... it's just made sure the hosts file is the original!

Spybot can be run without installing... You just need a copy from someone who has already installed it... just extract and run kind of thing... I'll attempt to bung a copy on to RapidShare unless someone beats me to it! :pancake:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok that's fine, you could do with a copy of spybot then, if you want to pop on MSN I'll send you a copy.

Its allowed me to download spybot but refuses to install....unless your copies in someway different than the one Ive downloaded wont it do the same again?

http://rapidshare.com/files/244773186/HOSTS.zip.html

Download and run that (it's safe, I've just thrown it together) - reboot your PC after :cheers:

erm what was supposed to happen Phil?.....all I got was this....

http://www.evo-host.co.uk/getimg/20256.jpg

then nothing?

will something become apparant after a reboot?

I wouldn't worry his script only does what we just checked ;) .

Did you do a full scan with Windows Defender?

came back with nothin :blink:

also uninstalled and re-installed Mcafee....ran a scan, came back with nothing but cookies, deleted em then tried the update again, cant be sure if it worked but it seemed to update so ran a second scan, no problems detected yet it still isnt allowing me access to windows update or direct web access to mcafee's site ?(

Was done and posted before I realised you'd checked the hosts file... but it's done no harm... it's just made sure the hosts file is the original!

Spybot can be run without installing... You just need a copy from someone who has already installed it... just extract and run kind of thing... I'll attempt to bung a copy on to RapidShare unless someone beats me to it! :pancake:

You can do that, I'm meant to be working :pancake:

You can do that, I'm meant to be working :pancake:

It's getting there... 1.5mb upload speed just isn't fast enough anymore! :(

Finally done!

http://rapidshare.com/files/244778878/SB_Portable.zip.html

Dowload, extract, run 'SpybotSD.exe' :thumb:

Edited by phil-smith.tk

sorry phil and Stoo but its now looking pointless, the internet gateway on my office PC(the pc in question) has disabled itself and refuses to enable now so there no net connection by either ethernet link or wireless link(tried both incase it was just a driver curruption) and nothing I do makes a blind bit of difference.

Using my sons PC ere just so I can give you's the heads-ups.

thanx for your efforts lads but Im giving up, its getting formatted and re-installed fresh.....I cant be arsed feckin about with it anymore ;)

guess Ill be back online later :D

TADAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :pancake:

cheers again lads

now all I need to do is re-install all my stuff and sp3 and that

Just don't make the mistake of installing McAfee :pancake:

Recommended:

A/V: Avast

A/S-A/A: Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware Personal

Firewall: Whatever - Windows firewall plus a decent hardware firewall usually works fine! :thumb:

ESET Smart Security is very good if you can afford it... :thumb:

TADAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :pancake:

cheers again lads

now all I need to do is re-install all my stuff and sp3 and that

Just don't make the mistake of installing McAfee :pancake:

Recommended:

A/V: Avast in use

A/S-A/A: Spybot S&D installed, Ad-Aware Personal

Firewall: Whatever - Windows firewall plus a decent hardware firewall usually works fine! :thumb:

ESET Smart Security is very good if you can afford it... :thumb:

however......now my windows copy wont validate????? :vangry: even though its entirely genuine and did validate the first time I installed it :unsure:

however......now my windows copy wont validate????? :vangry: even though its entirely genuine and did validate the first time I installed it :unsure:

Do it via "Activate by phone"... You'll get through to an Indian who will ask "How many PCs is this copy of Windows installed on"... Tell him/her one and explain that it was a re-install... He/she will then give you the activation code... jobs a goodun :thumb:

Do it via "Activate by phone"... You'll get through to an Indian who will ask "How many PCs is this copy of Windows installed on"... Tell him/her one and explain that it was a re-install... He/she will then give you the activation code... jobs a goodun :thumb:

SOD THAT phil, youve heard my accent, drives me nuts trying to make indian understand me, Ill be there all day

used microsofts validation advisor, asks for product key and that

entered all the info it requested, hit submit

and according to them the GENUINE key with my xp software (the exact same key I used to varify the software the last time) doesnt match the key they recovered from my pc......WTF????

It's going to be a phone India or grab a crack job... :pancake:

maybe but how the feck have they got the product key wrong???

they only show you the last 5 characters in the one they detected but even those couldnt be any further from the truth.

I assume the product keys are imbedded in the software on the cdrom somewhere but that only serves to further increase my confusion as it excepted the genuine key(with the cd) on installation both times and in the first instance it worked perfectly, without fault or error and the validation process went through instantly.

how can they be detected a completely different key? I havnt changed the disk......its the exact same f'in cd I used the first time and the exact same Key too :nutter: :nutter: :nutter: