cant update windows or mcafee

shawdreamer

basic termed replies wanted, please dont start asking for loggingthingiemajigs and datawhatsamacallits as when it comes to details like that Im blind....

basically I am running a genuine certified version of XP home I relatively recently installed on my pc(least I think its "Home" this time)

Im with SKY for my braodband and along with that use the Mcafee security suite they supply (used it before from AOL and did a decent job)

up until recent everything seemed peachy but now my PC refuses to let me update either windows or Mcafee no matter what I try, In addition to that IE wont let me access either Mcafee's site or Windows Update site, it redirects me to Feckin Stopzilla's site or plain refuses to find the sites atall.

Im expecting it to be some little fecker of spyware/malware/etc(despite my pc having windows defender and Mcafee on it) as all the problems are to specific to be random errors.

Anyone got some simple solutions to my problem?

like I said....keep it simple, dunno about "logs" or "catroot" files so please......for godsake...... dont try and make my brain melt with big long overcomplicated answers :thumb:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a firewall blocking it, so you'll have to go into your firewall software and let it access it.

Also should be in the PC section of the forums.

added mcafee to ITS OWN firewall exception list, made sure windows original firewall was inactive and still.....nothin changed, clicking windows update sends you to google and even when I manually type in any adress associated with Mcafee it sends me to that Stopzilla or similiar.

I dont think its firewall related at all as nothing I did made a difference...... any more suggestions?

Disable McAfee's firewall...

Disable PeerGuardian if you have that installed...

Restart your router...

Disable router's firewall

Try Windows Update and McAfee's update utility after each step

Once you've found the culprit (Assuming it's one of those four) report back and reverse the above steps.

If all fails... bring the bugger here!

Disable McAfee's firewall...

tried that already, and windows firewall to be on the safe side too

Disable PeerGuardian if you have that installed...

dont have that

Restart your router...

tried that already

Disable router's firewall

routers a netgear stand alone jobbie reboxed for sky, it doesnt appear to have any form of firewall and the only security visable is the password required to access the net through it

Try Windows Update and McAfee's update utility after each step

did that and either I get jibbed off to google or stopzilla/registry cleaner/etc (the latter is making me suspect a bit of Mal/spyware)

Once you've found the culprit (Assuming it's one of those four) report back and reverse the above steps.

If all fails... bring the bugger here!

oh and Kev as far as Im aware spybot SD doesnt usually recognize some of the more annoying malware/spyware jobs once their firmly imbedded in your PC so chances are it'd be a waste of time, Ill give it a go anyway tho, that desperate now :pancake:

adaware is normally a good one aswell

adaware

aye Ive used both (often on my pc at the sametime) before now....spybots usually more efficient but adaware sometimes picks up on things it misses.....think Ill old school it and fire the both of em up :glare:

attempted to install spybot = error sending request

the server name or address could not be resolved

blocked by the suspected malware/spyware?

I aint paying for adaware unless I can garantee it'll fix my problem so thats out the window straight away

quite possibly, tried a system restall? failing that boot in safe mode

only really recently set the whole system up, bought a nice fresh brand new genuine copy of XP to install on a fresh tower Id only just bought, new 19" LCD, changed my broadband supplier to sky (got their whole tv/phone/net package) so basically a entire format and install isnt off the cards really.....pain in the arse.....but starting to look more and more likely :pancake:

Sky's repackaged Netgear routers have a hardware firewall built in... Which is why you would have to engage in port forwarding to allow certain application free access to the internet without being choked by the router.

Ditch McAfee (chances are you didn't pay for it... Comes free with the likes of Sky and most highstreet banks offer it free to their customers - God only knows why! It misses at least 5/10 infections... The mrs' brother's PC is always infected with something... but he won't allow anything but McAfee on there as he payed for it! :nutter: )

Out of the freebies availible Avast seems to do the job nicely... Give that a whirl along with Spybot, Ad-Aware Personal, CWShredder etc

Uninstall StopZilla....

Uninstall Registry Cleaner (Install CCleaner (Formally known as CrapCleaner) instead... It has a registry clean-up utility amongst other things and often solves most simple yet annoying problems)

Sky's repackaged Netgear routers have a hardware firewall built in... Which is why you would have to engage in port forwarding to allow certain application free access to the internet without being choked by the router.

Ditch McAfee (chances are you didn't pay for it... Comes free with the likes of Sky and most highstreet banks offer it free to their customers - God only knows why! It misses at least 5/10 infections... The mrs' brother's PC is always infected with something... but he won't allow anything but McAfee on there as he payed for it! :nutter: )

true....did come free

Out of the freebies availible Avast seems to do the job nicely... Give that a whirl along with Spybot, Ad-Aware Personal, CWShredder etc

spybot wont install

Uninstall StopZilla....

dont have stopzilla, my browser just redirects me there when I attempt to access windows update

Uninstall Registry Cleaner (Install CCleaner (Formally known as CrapCleaner) instead... It has a registry clean-up utility amongst other things and often solves most simple yet annoying problems)

again dont have reg cleaner....just another site redirect

:unsure: