Recommendations

smithyandco

Idve thought so. Id avoid the pentium D if i were you (unless you can locate a cheap one), intel hadnt sorted out the problem of them running hot when they released it. A core2duo would be a much better option as they run faster and cooler, and as a bonus they run off socket 775 as well so no need to change your mobo.

good choice of gfx card btw :thumb:

Most decent Core2Duos require a higher FSB than 800Mhz... Which is my limit for this board. (And I'm not changing the board)

Although Pentium D's go as far as a 965 with 800Mhz FSB (Researched it and found I was wrong about the 925 being the best 800Mhz FSB cpu).

The 965 is a 3.7Ghz Duel Core... :cheers:

HP won't assure me that there is or ever will be support for Core2Duo via my board (No news of BIOS updates)... And said my board supports a max of the 925 (But that was the best 800Mhz FSB cpu at the time of the PCs original build).

What I might do is try and borrow a 800Mhz FSB LGA775 Core2Duo from my usually freebie source and see if that works... If so then I'll look out for a decent Core2Duo... Maybe a 3.4Ghz

If not then Pentium D will have to do! :thumb:

Besides any Pentium D will be better than a single core 3.06Ghz Pentium 4 HT (HT= pretends to be a duel core... although it helps... a little)

if thats true, then even if the core2duo does work, wont your system be bottle necked by the bus speed, therefore making it pointless having the core2 processor?

if thats true, then even if the core2duo does work, wont your system be bottle necked by the bus speed, therefore making it pointless having the core2 processor?

It won't be pointless.

A decent 800Mhz FSB Core2Duo (if my board will support it) will be clockable for future plans... And although I won't get the best performing system ever while using this stock HP board it will be damn quick and provide ample performance for at least a year if not more, Then I will be able to upgrade to a much better LGA775 board (and a new case) and clock the Core2Duo I would have had to the stock FSB speed of the new board.

For example one of the 3.4Ghz Core2Duos with run at 3.4Ghz (x2) on a stock 800Mhz FSB board but will be stable at 4.2Ghz (x2) if it crack up the FSB on a newer board.

With a new board comes better memory support so the DDR2 2Gb will do on the newer board until I can afford better (DDR3 board that supports DDR2) and of course I won't be overclocking the cpu until the memory is upgraded.

The newer board should support quad core... so that could be a future plan.

It will be like keeping up with minimal costs. And being able to upgrade bit by bit rather than spend loads on a new system every 5 mins.

It's a shame my board won't support the 3.2Ghz duel core XEON in one of my servers... (IBM xSeries 226, standalone tower)... Then again that has a PCI-E 16x slot... 6x DDR2 memory banks (supporting a 12Gb max apparently - Only 1GB in it at the min...), 2 cpu sockets (so possibly 2x 3.2Ghz duel core XEONs... Someone was selling a paired set for £30 on ebay), SATA... the lot

Shame it's 15,000RPM drives and fans are noisy as hell (even with the fans being temp controlled), It's too big to fit under my desk and the motherboard is bigger than any ATX case :(

i prefer the geforce 8800GTX, the 8800 GT does more or less the same thing but theres a guy on ebay selling the GTX for 50quid plus postage which is filthy cheap for the product, amazing quality i run on 2 x 22inch 2232bw monitors and it plays bf2 with rubbish hot graffix! interested... search username "propellerhead" on ebay. they are reconditioned or refurbed i think but i just got one from him and works perfect.

rubbish hot graffix!

errm, this was supposed to say Sh i t lol but someone has been playing with word filters.

Edited by danny1987

i prefer the geforce 8800GTX, the 8800 GT does more or less the same thing but theres a guy on ebay selling the GTX for 50quid plus postage which is filthy cheap for the product, amazing quality i run on 2 x 22inch 2232bw monitors and it plays bf2 with rubbish hot graffix! interested... search username "propellerhead" on ebay. they are reconditioned or refurbed i think but i just got one from him and works perfect.

rubbish hot graffix!

errm, this was supposed to say Sh i t lol but someone has been playing with word filters.

I know the 9600 is just a re-branded 8800... But so far it's run everything I've thrown at it on high->VeryHigh... Crysis will be the killer... Not tried it yet but I expect it will be playable on at least medium settings with AA and AF turned off (I'm not a fan of AA and AF... I prefer raw sh!t monitor style lines)

If I'm right the only advatages of the 9600 are better HD video, Cuda (using the GPU for processing tasks when not using the GPU for gaming/Video... for example encoding video on the GPU leaving the CPU free for other things!), dedicated PhysX processor on the GPU rather than using part of the standard GPU and something about being "3D" game ready...(by that I mean using 3D glasses...)

The 9600 was only around £60 inself new and it's clockable... :thumb:

It does the trick anyway... does exactly what I want it to :)