PC Remotes

PeeWee

Ok so im adding a Windows7 based media centre to my tv but want to do away with the keyboard & mouse most of the time.

I will be using the Windows 7 built in media centre function (note i do not mean the media player) as a front end.

So idealy im now looking for a remote.

I have looked through ebay where there are loads but im more after those people that HAVE bought or experienced one they would recomend due to the fact they range from £1.25 to £15 and above.

Any useful info gladly taken.

Thanks. :thumb:

This is the one you want pete, trust me...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PC-Remote-Control-Wi...=item2a0565f609

http://www.evo-host.co.uk/getimg/23754.jpg

As an aside, ill say what i tell everyone else (tho nobody listens to me)... dont waste you time with Win7 media centre, use mediaportal, its a million times better and has tons of extra plugins...

Thanks for all your sharp replies. :cheers:

If your PC already has an IR reciever... The Xbox360 Official remote is ideal! (About £10 pre-owned for an official one in Blockbuster)

360 remote controls, control Windows Media Center and Windows Media Center remote controls, control 360s anyways...

Odly enough I have two of those here, but no it doesnt already have infa red.

As an aside, ill say what i tell everyone else (tho nobody listens to me)... dont waste you time with Win7 media centre, use mediaportal, its a million times better and has tons of extra plugins...

Hmm now thats the one that caught my eye with the mouse control included cheers. :thumb:

As for media portal of course im willing to explore different alternatives so I will indeed try that. :cheers:

Does mediaportal have a sopcast plugin? :innocent:

Edited by PeeWee

Does mediaportal have a sopcast plugin? :innocent:

probably, but even if it doesnt..

a) its opensource software, so you could either write the plugin yourself, or request it.

b) MP allows for streaming tv over a private network or the web from your own tv server anyway. so just drop a freeview tv card into any server machine youve got at home, and you can stream it to any other clients that have MP installed. ive got all my media on a server in my house with two tv cards in it, and can stream it all to either the client htpc in my living room, or the other one in my bedroom over wi-fi.

have a look at the demo below if u want to see it up and running (not my video btw)

Edited by eetaylog

Im not really wanting to use my iphone for a remote tbh but thanks for the heads up. If im out how will it by used by others?

Im set on my remote now so thanks & downloaded media portal.

Ok so dvb pci cards, best options (usb ones seem cheap but with a reason???)

I would go for the proper Microsoft media center remote control, and the keyboard too (shares the same receiver).

Here are some item numbers to get you going:

downloaded media portal.

:cheers: Any questions, give me a shout.

ive got a hauppauge nova t-500 and its never let me down. Its a dual tuner, so has two dvb receivers built into one (handy for watching one channel while recording another). Btw, you get a remote thrown in if you buy hauppauge tv cards (which is what i use).

Right I ordered the remote you said up there (just have to wait for delivery due to it being US) & now using mediaportal which as you say is far more usable & tinkerable lol.

Not 100% going to do the dvb card atm as it wasnt my intention tbh but all still possible if I do wish to add later.

The purpose was to have my movies & music streaming from my storage in the loft which im now doing smoothly.

Looks stunning seeing Windows 7 in 37" though I must say lol, so sharp & clear too.

Thanks for all the help. :cheers:

Right I ordered the remote you said up there (just have to wait for delivery due to it being US) & now using mediaportal which as you say is far more usable & tinkerable lol.

Not 100% going to do the dvb card atm as it wasnt my intention tbh but all still possible if I do wish to add later.

The purpose was to have my movies & music streaming from my storage in the loft which im now doing smoothly.

Looks stunning seeing Windows 7 in 37" though I must say lol, so sharp & clear too.

Good choice imo, its by far the most popular remote for people using mediaportal, and you can remap the buttons to however suits you.

Im glad youre giving MP a crack. You wont regret it, and if you ever decide to use a dvb card itll open up a whole other side of the software for you, but youll see for yourself i guess. Id highly recommend the plugins 'MyFilms' and 'MyTVSeries', they give the front end a really nice look and make it easy to navigate around your video files. Id also recommend the BleazleWide skin if youre into changing the appearance. :thumb:

Good choice imo, its by far the most popular remote for people using mediaportal, and you can remap the buttons to however suits you.

Im glad youre giving MP a crack. You wont regret it, and if you ever decide to use a dvb card itll open up a whole other side of the software for you, but youll see for yourself i guess. Id highly recommend the plugins 'MyFilms' and 'MyTVSeries', they give the front end a really nice look and make it easy to navigate around your video files. Id also recommend the BleazleWide skin if youre into changing the appearance. :thumb:

Im using the default skin atm but would love to try others out. Ill try those plugins too. Im using the latest stable version atm purely so I know if any glitches apear its my doing and not the software hence me not trying the latest beta.