PC advice needed.

McRic

When we move house I'm wanting to get a pc. I'm in 2 minds wether to set up an office with a pc or have a base unit wired into the TV in the play room with wireless keyboard. I will be using it for mainly surfing the net, burning the odd cd and photos.

I'm looking to do it as cheap as possible but it has to be fast and reliable. What would you computer literate people advise?

Ideally if going the play room route I'll want a box that will lay flat with the dvd player and wii on top.

My new PC (tower only) cost 320 quid and its unbeatable for the price, it actually jumps up and down over dells costing more than it, and shits all over all but the most seriouis laptops. Surely you dont need it running off a big TV if its only gonna be for surfing and burning CDs, surely a laptop is suitable for that? If you want it in the office then i recomend a desktop like mine.

I'd advise a laptop.

Already got a netbook for general faffing around :thumb:

A laptop is bigger.

And they also has a built in TV-out slot so you can connect it to any TV you want anyway.

I'm fully aware of that, I sold my laptop to get a netbook.

The reason I'm going on about connecting it to the tv is because the tv will be the monitor so to speak. I think I want to keep the spare room as exactly that instead of an office. The 2nd lounge in our new house is going to be multi purpose ie the little ones play room but also the guest room as it'll have a corner sofa with bed built in. It'll also have the current 37" Tv in with Sky + and the Wii. My way of thinking is if I get the pc I want it to look neat. I'm thinking older style flat box if that makes sense as in old style base unit. I'm unsure if I can get one of those a decent spec though.

Didn't know if something like THIS would be suffice for my needs. That spec should be quick enough for the net etc?

Or would the base model of THIS be better?

Didn't know if something like THIS would be suffice for my needs. That spec should be quick enough for the net etc?

Both will do the job ample, you need very little to browse the web tbh.

The new dell one is obviously the better of the two and above & beyond your needs.

I have one of those ebay ones too thats very neat & low noise. You mentioned burning dvd'd so take note that the ebay one doesnt have a writer just a reader. Saying that it only costs roughly £15 for a new dvd writer and simple enough to fit.

The new dell one is obviously the better of the two and above & beyond your needs.

I have one of those ebay ones too thats very neat & low noise. You mentioned burning dvd'd so take note that the ebay one doesnt have a writer just a reader. Saying that it only costs roughly £15 for a new dvd writer and simple enough to fit.

Will the base model new dell be as quick as my n110? It has a intel atom and 1gb memory.

Will the base model new dell be as quick as my n110? It has a intel atom and 1gb memory.

Faster! Much faster. :thumb:

Final question what would be the best wireless keyboard to go for without breaking the bank?

Would want one with built in mouse ie touchpad laptop style.

Not sure but ebay is littered with them, I did buy a lovely wireless keyboard & mouse from my local B&M store for £13.99, its really good & straight plug in & play (which I know you like Ric lol)

Final question what would be the best wireless keyboard to go for without breaking the bank?

Not sure but ebay is littered with them, I did buy a lovely wireless keyboard & mouse from my local B&M store for £13.99, its really good & straight plug in & play (which I know you like Ric lol)

Yip simple is the way for me, I want a keyboard with the mouse built in.

Deffo final question this time, what leads do I need to connect it to the tv for both picture and sound?

Deffo final question this time, what leads do I need to connect it to the tv for both picture and sound?

For mine I use a simple vga pc cable from Asda £5.

Im assuming your tv has a pc vga input (just for you Ric its the one that looks like the back of a regular vga pc graphics card

)

http://ii.alatest.com/product/600x400/0/d/Trust-Clavier-Trust-Vista-Remote-Keyboard-KB-2950-0.jpg

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?...amp;tid=gsearch

Wireless media centre keyboard with built in track ball mouse... Designed just for the very job! :thumb:

To connect a PC to your TV...

If you have a HDTV, likelihood is it has a VGA port... So a standard monitor cable (vga cable) and then for audio, it depends on your TV. If your TV has a 3.5mm audio-in then a 3.5mm->3.5mm audio cable like this:

http://www.bsrsoft.com/help/photos/3.5mm-audio-extender-male-to-male.jpg

If not... You'll most likely need one of these:

http://www.gttkc.com/shop/images/3mm_2male_rca_1ft.jpg

That is a 3.5mm->RCA cable :thumb: