Torrent seed connections

Craig855S

I currently have a long list of torrents awaiting download (all open source stuff obviously, not illegal rubbish) and on allof my torrents I have only 1 or 2 seeds connected, one has 10, but the rest 1 or 2, but in brackets it says there are hundreds and even thousands of seeds with that torrent, but why arent they connecting?

My highest down speed is only 38kbps, and that has 5 out of a potential 61 connected...

one has 1 seed out of 1000 connected and the down speed isnt even registering, but it does know the ETA is 38 WEEKS!!! for a file that is only a few hundred meg...

WTF is this rubbish, its been like this for a while and its pissing me off now

You can set your upload to 1k if you so wish meaning you could have 60 uploaders all at 1k totaling 60k. Also the total number is the swarm iirc, it doesnt mean theyre uploading at one given time. But as stoo says a more likely cause is your ISP, even if they state unlimited download your still open to a fair usuage policy. You also may find that after 12-2am it will speed up.

bit better now, one is running with 50 seeds and is 261kbps...

total down speed accross all torrents is 600kbps, but some of my torrents have been trying to DL for weeks and are barely moving...1 says its gonna take 3 years....And 1 has beeen on 90% for 2 months!

who is your ISP? alot throttle non port 80 traffic

Simple yet slightly security flawed solution: Set your client to use port 80. (Not recommended)

With O2/BE I find that changing the port every now and then helps. Usually a 40000+ Port.

Same as I used to do back in the Youceff days... (if anyone remembers it - I used to be a mod there until the courts slammed us shut ;( )

Check a few things:

1. Set your upload speed to <80% of it's maximum. (a 20mb d/l - 1.5mb u/l line usually means one or the other... not both at the same time) - Doing this could increase download speeds in general, not just for your torrents. Yet this still allows you to contribute to the "swarm"

2. Check the port your using is correctly forwarded on your router and firewall.

3. Enable UPnP

4. Enable NAT-PMP

5. Disable DHT full stop

6. Enable Peer Exchange

7. Enable any tracker scrape function

Stop low priority torrents until high priority torrents have finished and run only 4-6 torrents at a time. This helps prevent issues relating to the maximum amount of connections you can have open at any one time in most Windows OSs (things are better in Vista and 7).