best methods for undercoating you car?

pricey99

as above. what advise has any one got for undercoating a car?

i was looking at buying some of this as its an all-in-one and just brushing the underside of the car with it?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...yId_165594#dtab

any advice for the prep or application?

wire brush to remove the caked on dirt and any loose debri.

then slap the underseal on lke keiri knightley said she'd suck you of if you empty the paint can (that description will so get mod assaulted!....worth it tho)

as above. what advise has any one got for undercoating a car?

i was looking at buying some of this as its an all-in-one and just brushing the underside of the car with it?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...yId_165594#dtab

any advice for the prep or application?

wire brush to remove the caked on dirt and any loose debri.

then slap the underseal on lke keiri knightley said she'd suck you of if you empty the paint can (that description will so get mod assaulted!....worth it tho)

i'll keep that in mind when slapping it on :innocent:

I want the opposite, how do i get all of it off! Angle grinder and wire wheel i suppose, bit at a time, horrible job.

will solvents an a scraper not get the bulk of it off?

I dunno, mines 35 years old and i believe the person putting it on used Shaw's theory, it's absolutely rock solid.

I want the opposite, how do i get all of it off! Angle grinder and wire wheel i suppose, bit at a time, horrible job.

I dunno, mines 35 years old and i believe the person putting it on used Shaw's theory, it's absolutely rock solid.

solvents are generally a waste of time unless your planning to make it spotless under there before slapping the gunk on.

If your going for the entire underside then a wire brush on a angle grinder is your tool as it'll scrape both mud and old paint off faster than a french man surrenders.

If your basically going for the maintenance approach and simply touching up any areas that you aren't happy with on the existing under seal then a hard poly wire head on the grinder will usually flit off the mud and clear away flaky paint without cutting into good under seal.

either way.....get yourself some goggles cos I guarantee you'll be swearing ya box off while rubbing your eyes 90% of the time while doing it otherwise.

solvents are generally a waste of time unless your planning to make it spotless under there before slapping the gunk on.

If your going for the entire underside then a wire brush on a angle grinder is your tool as it'll scrape both mud and old paint off faster than a french man surrenders.

If your basically going for the maintenance approach and simply touching up any areas that you aren't happy with on the existing under seal then a hard poly wire head on the grinder will usually flit off the mud and clear away flaky paint without cutting into good under seal.

either way.....get yourself some goggles cos I guarantee you'll be swearing ya box off while rubbing your eyes 90% of the time while doing it otherwise.

That was beautiful! Yeah mines all coming off and being lashed with black hammerite instead, i bet all the underseal on there will save me about 10kg's.

Theres a few ways of going about this a bit more info is needed. Has the car got factory stonechip on, has it been Waxoyled over, is it bare metal and going to be overpainted etc

it has been waxoiled over before on some parts, and yes would be painting over bare metal on some parts

Edited by pricey99

Theres a few ways of going about this a bit more info is needed. Has the car got factory stonechip on, has it been Waxoyled over, is it bare metal and going to be overpainted etc

it has been waxoiled over before on some parts, and yes would be painting over bare metal on some parts

You want a pile of rags and a few litres of petrol. Petrol will break down the Waxoyl and it will just rub off. Anything which is bare metal will need coating in an acid etch primer. This eats into the metal and bonds, regular primer etc will just come off. The bare metal, now primed bits will need over painting with a flexible stone chip like 3M then overpainted with your choice of colour. If you just bang Hammerite on it over the bare metal, it will chip off and look crap.