Fifth Gear 120mph Focus Crash

scottg17

pretty dramatic but that presenter is a tad clueless in describing the situation.

"two vehicles hitting head-on, both doing 120mph"

actually, its one vehicle doing 120mph hitting a solid obstacle obviously........the difference is immense in comparison when you compare it to two vehicles striking head-on at a closing speed of 240mph combined.

which is worse their demo or two cars I don't know and wouldn't wanna guess but there definitely miles apart in terms of damage results.

pretty dramatic but that presenter is a tad clueless in describing the situation.

"two vehicles hitting head-on, both doing 120mph"

actually, its one vehicle doing 120mph hitting a solid obstacle obviously........the difference is immense in comparison when you compare it to two vehicles striking head-on at a closing speed of 240mph combined.

which is worse their demo or two cars I don't know and wouldn't wanna guess but there definitely miles apart in terms of damage results.

The difference between this video and 2 cars hitting eachother head on on a 60MPH road is also huge. that conrete block absorbed none of the energy so the focus had to absorb all 120MPH of it, 2 cars hitting at 60 will absorb half the energy each and also move away from the point of impact with some speed still left, probably still unsurvivable but it wouldnt be this much of a mess. In fact, havent fifth gear done a head on test at high speeds? (E34 bmw 5 series was used i think)

Here we go, as i said, unsurviveable in these old cars, maybe survivable in newer cars. But the cars didnt just flatten on impact as with that concrete wall

Meh. Probably best not to hoon about at 120mph then.

but what happens if you get accidentally caught on a industrial length of steel reinforced cable that just so happens to be attached to a industrial cable spooler which is capable of winding its spool at horrendously high torques and then starts to drag your car forward till it reaches 120mph before impacting a solid reinforced concrete block.

accidents happen yanno........

....just ask Steve

..... he'll be using that one next time.