Fish

Ahmotorsport

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, just been to the fish shop. Seen the live filter bacteria. Also, mum said she doesn't want him to have a huge tank, so the 60L idea is out the window, mum pointed out like, a 30L one tops, which is a shame. I was looking at the red neon guppys and some blue neons if they're compatoble? Also my brother liked a smallish black one with white spots all over it with googly eyes, didn't have a name on it. Anyone know it?

I've already promised him fish, however, i'll probably get one because no doubt i'll be looking after them.

Right, just been to the fish shop. Seen the live filter bacteria. Also, mum said she doesn't want him to have a huge tank, so the 60L idea is out the window, mum pointed out like, a 30L one tops, which is a shame. I was looking at the red neon guppys and some blue neons if they're compatoble? Also my brother liked a smallish black one with white spots all over it with googly eyes, didn't have a name on it. Anyone know it?

I've already promised him fish, however, i'll probably get one because no doubt i'll be looking after them.

Guppy's and tetra's are fine mate. If you doing the community tank thing then you have the choice of:

Large no. of different tetras.

Guppy's

Molly's

Golden barbs

Cherry barbs ( any other barbs are too aggressive with other small fish)

Catfish

Plec

Gourami's

Loach

Platy's

Angel fish (though may fin nip on small fish and might be too large for a 30l tank!)

Ive had fish for around 6 years now and my other half works with fish too. To speed up the tank maturing then use some filter aid. Get it from your local fish shop.

Guppy's and tetra's are fine mate. If you doing the community tank thing then you have the choice of:

Guppy's

Molly's

Golden barbs

Catfish

Plec

Gourami's

Loach

Platy's

Angel fish (though may fin nip on small fish and might be too large for a 30l tank!)

Ive had fish for around 6 years now and my other half works with fish too. To speed up the tank maturing then use some filter aid. Get it from your local fish shop.

Plecs? (i cant think of a single one that would be suitable for a 30L)

Gouramis? (i think there may be 1 species of gourami that might be suitable)

Loaches (again, most are huge)

Angel fish????

And "filterstart" etc in bottles is total Balls, add some on start up and see how many weeks it takes to be free of nitrite....itll be ages.

read the threads in the beginners resource section of fishforums.net to find out how to keep fish, or you're just gonna lose money and fish hand over fist as someone once told me here as i started up. Now Im on my 5th tank (also a lesson here about getting the right tank to begin with, if he WANTS fish, then you want to buy 1 tank and stick with it, and a 30L isnt the kind of tank he'll want to stick with

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, just wanted to say thanks for all your help.

Had the tank maturing for about two weeks now, went to Pets at Home and asked if i could get 5 neon tetras and four guppies, then the woman told me why i shouldn't just chuck them all in at once and basically everything i needed to know, which was good. So i went for the Neons, they're now in the tank, they started swimming into each other and, almost chasing each other, are they fighting or playing 'It' ?

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae68/Ahmotorsport/P181111_1741.jpg

Maturing

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae68/Ahmotorsport/P251111_1811.jpg

Neons

Guppy's

Molly's

Golden barbs

Catfish

Plec

Gourami's

Loach

Platy's

Plecs? (i cant think of a single one that would be suitable for a 30L)

Gouramis? (i think there may be 1 species of gourami that might be suitable)

Loaches (again, most are huge)

Angel fish????

And "filterstart" etc in bottles is total Balls, add some on start up and see how many weeks it takes to be free of nitrite....itll be ages.

read the threads in the beginners resource section of fishforums.net to find out how to keep fish, or you're just gonna lose money and fish hand over fist as someone once told me here as i started up. Now Im on my 5th tank (also a lesson here about getting the right tank to begin with, if he WANTS fish, then you want to buy 1 tank and stick with it, and a 30L isnt the kind of tank he'll want to stick with

I should of pointed out that I was actually specifying community fish in general, not ones for a particular tank, my bad. Secondly I never pointed out that along with filter start I also added real plants and couple of small fish to get everything working together a lot quicker, not just plonk a bottle of stuff in and away you go. Not explained entirely properly but its not all balls at all. Sometimes you just dont think to explain every tiny detail so again...my bad. ;)

Is there a heater in there?

Yes, at the back left hand corner.

I'd also like to ask, how big do bristlenose plecos grow too? They're really small in the shop (same size as the neons) but looking at some pictures they look a lot bigger.

Cant say for sure but the longest iv had a plec from small ( 2-3 inch) is about 3 years and he only grew 1/2 -1 inch max. If you get a small one then i wouldnt worry about it growing too big. Ive had several and every so often my tank goes a bit pete tong and does its own version of..... ethnic cleansing so a plec had never grown too big lol. ( and before any bright spark pipes up the only level slightly high was ammonia, but not so high it would of killed a whole load of fish). The quality of the fish itself determines how long it'll live too. Some are so inbred and largely farmed the fish are not healthy from the start!

I'd also like to ask, how big do bristlenose plecos grow too? They're really small in the shop (same size as the neons) but looking at some pictures they look a lot bigger.

Cant say for sure but the longest iv had a plec from small ( 2-3 inch) is about 3 years and he only grew 1/2 -1 inch max. If you get a small one then i wouldnt worry about it growing too big. Ive had several and every so often my tank goes a bit pete tong and does its own version of..... ethnic cleansing so a plec had never grown too big lol. ( and before any bright spark pipes up the only level slightly high was ammonia, but not so high it would of killed a whole load of fish). The quality of the fish itself determines how long it'll live too. Some are so inbred and largely farmed the fish are not healthy from the start!

As its your 1st tank, I wouldnt be surprised if a plec pegged it after a short time. Unless your water is that well established your bound to get a few(understatement) die along the way.

As its your 1st tank, I wouldnt be surprised if a plec pegged it after a short time. Unless your water is that well established your bound to get a few(understatement) die along the way.

Cheers for the info pal! I'm expecting a few to die, i actually think my little brother will be the one that does it!