Lowering the Cab

Team009

To lower a car you need to fit shorter fitted springs. These can be in the form of cut springs,
Just cut a coil off the existing spring?

aftermarket lowered springs,
Is this just a way of buying a spring that someone else has cut a coil off? But you get pretty colours!!

or coilovers.
What are coilovers please?? will have to google!!

Yes.

No.

Expensive shock absorbers. If you spent less than £1k on a set they're going to ride worse than the cheaper non-coilover* stuff.

* Yes, I know any shock absorber package with a spring over the coil is technically a coil-over, but my comment is for the masses.

Coilovers are fully height adjustable suspension that can usually be cranked up and down with the hook tool that comes with them, un like circlip adjustable suspension where you have to stick to adjustments in pre set increments, coilovers allow you to make much finer adjustments on a thread that is cranked up and down. It allows you to perfectly match the rear ride height to the front, well that was why I got some but Stu's right, less than £1000 on coilovers and your going to have a very stiff unconfortable ride, I spent £400 on mine......

Heres a pic of coilovers, you can see how the thread allows you to crank it up and down, you only have to remove the wheel to adjust.

http://www.fd3s.net/bilstein_coilovers.jpg

By far your cheapest solution is to cut your springs but I would never recommend this to anyone really, probably get you to your destination and back but I would hold out for a 40mm drop set of suspension, or worst case senario see if anyone has some lowering springs for sale or donation.

Theres a very slim change I might be able to get you some suspension too, front coilovers and rear circlip adjustable, just trying to persuade the owner of my old car to give them up...

Edited by Naylor2006

Coilovers are fully height adjustable suspension that can usually be cranked up and down with the hook tool that comes with them, un like circlip adjustable suspension where you have to stick to adjustments in pre set increments, coilovers allow you to make much finer adjustments on a thread that is cranked up and down. It allows you to perfectly match the rear ride height to the front, well that was why I got some but Stu's right, less than £1000 on coilovers and your going to have a very stiff unconfortable ride, I spent £400 on mine......

Heres a pic of coilovers, you can see how the thread allows you to crank it up and down, you only have to remove the wheel to adjust.

http://www.fd3s.net/bilstein_coilovers.jpg

By far your cheapest solution is to cut your springs but I would never recommend this to anyone really, probably get you to your destination and back but I would hold out for a 40mm drop set of suspension, or worst case senario see if anyone has some lowering springs for sale or donation.

Theres a very slim change I might be able to get you some suspension too, front coilovers and rear circlip adjustable, just trying to persuade the owner of my old car to give them up...

If the springs are cut and flatted properly, they'll last ages.

* Yes, I know any shock absorber package with a spring over the coil is technically a coil-over, but my comment is for the masses.

Thats ok I am def the masses!

That would be amazing! I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Thanks for the help people, things are now a little clearer at least!

To lower a car you need to fit shorter fitted springs. These can be in the form of cut springs, aftermarket lowered springs, or coilovers.

....or go out saturday night and wait till the end of the night when the only thing left are fat burds....... continue to offer as many as required a "lift home" until you get your desired ride height.

Edited by shawdreamer

To lower a car you need to fit shorter fitted springs. These can be in the form of cut springs, aftermarket lowered springs, or coilovers.

....or go out saturday night and wait till the end of the night when the only thing left are fat burds....... continue to offer as many as required a "lift home" until you get your desired ride height.

Probably cheapest option, and if I have the roof down, i can keep throwing them in on top of each other!