Different OS?

Craig855S

I have a problem with my computer that i honestly think can only be solved by formatting it (i think many windows files are corrupt) and I dont have a disc or recovery partition for my windows 7. Antivirus software, recovering the MBR and various different programs havent really helped. So an idea Ive had (to save me buying another windows 7 disc) is to install a new OS.

Would installing a new OS like ubuntu and linux involve the formatting of the HD? (to get rid of any corrupt crap) and are those OS's compatable with my hardware? What software can these OSs run in terms of internet browser, media player, torrent clients, etc etc

I have a problem with my computer that i honestly think can only be solved by formatting it (i think many windows files are corrupt)

Lots of thinking going on there. Doesn't sound like you know. Perhaps you should word it as "I have a problem I don't know how to fix, so the only solution in my eyes is to format and re-install", which sounds more accurate.

Would installing a new OS like ubuntu and linux involve the formatting of the HD? (to get rid of any corrupt crap)

Yes, you would most likely end up re-formatting your hard disk with a different filesystem. If by 'corrupt crap' you are talking about damaged files, then yes they would be gone and of no use to another operating system anyway. If you mean a physical problem with the HD, then no a format won't fix that. Hard disks are self-healing to a certain degree, if your disk is physically damaged to the point that this self-healing can't happen (as in un-recoverable sectors) then time to buy a new HD.

and are those OS's compatable with my hardware?

Are we supposed to guess what hardware you have? Perhaps you should check the hardware compatability list on the ubuntu/whatever website. We're not psychic.

What software can these OSs run in terms of internet browser, media player, torrent clients, etc etc

Yes, you can get software of the types you specify, although "etc etc" could mean anything, so the answer to that would be "maybe".

Stop thinking. Be more specific. Saves people time.

I have a problem with my computer that i honestly think can only be solved by formatting it (i think many windows files are corrupt)

Lots of thinking going on there. Doesn't sound like you know. Perhaps you should word it as "I have a problem I don't know how to fix, so the only solution in my eyes is to format and re-install", which sounds more accurate.

What I know is I have some problems that are making life difficult with the PC and following advice on pchelpforums (using lots of bits of software including combofix and several other programs hasnt helped) the only solution in even a whizzes eyes would be to get rid of the windows files (running ubuntu would do this no? also allowing me to keep all my media)

Would installing a new OS like ubuntu and linux involve the formatting of the HD? (to get rid of any corrupt crap)

Yes, you would most likely end up re-formatting your hard disk with a different filesystem. If by 'corrupt crap' you are talking about damaged files, then yes they would be gone and of no use to another operating system anyway. If you mean a physical problem with the HD, then no a format won't fix that. Hard disks are self-healing to a certain degree, if your disk is physically damaged to the point that this self-healing can't happen (as in un-recoverable sectors) then time to buy a new HD.

I highly doubt it's the hard drive, i think a virus has messed with a lot of the boot files and some files in C/Windows

chic.

What software can these OSs run in terms of internet browser, media player, torrent clients, etc etc

Yes, you can get software of the types you specify, although "etc etc" could mean anything, so the answer to that would be "maybe".

By etc etc i mean everyday programs people use, CD burning software, a photoshop type program, adobe reader, flash and java players

Stop thinking. Be more specific. Saves people time.

Edited by Craig855S

You have your 7 key? Order another copy?

If you made a mess with 7 then a Linux distro will possibly soul destroy you.

Common programs & alternatives you should have no problem getting hold of, installing these are not quite like installing on Windows.

Hardware is a simple unknown due to the fact we don't know what you have, you may install Ubuntu & find you no longer have a usable printer for example.

Back up you media now before progressing further.

I've gone for Ubuntu, I booted from disc then selected install and it went on, currently installing bits and bobs to get it to do what I need day to day, you're right about installing things being overly complicated (Dont worry I understand how to follow instructions and anything i dont understand how to "simply do" i can just google) but hey, the good thing is I won't be falling foul of viruses/spyware/adware etc which clogs up most windows machines Edited by Craig855S

I've gone for Ubuntu, I booted from disc then selected install and it went on, currently installing bits and bobs to get it to do what I need day to day, you're right about installing things being overly complicated (Dont worry I understand how to follow instructions and anything i dont understand how to "simply do" i can just google) but hey, the good thing is I won't be falling foul of viruses/spyware/adware etc which clogs up most windows machines

Adobe Announces Plans To Abandon Flash On Linux, February 22, 2012

I don't have problems with viruses/spyware/ad-ware tbf ;)

This.

User education is the key IMO.

100% true.

The fact is, I can't remember the last time I had a problem with viruses, malware etc over my network of computers?

Also being a person that has to ensure lots (and I mean lots) of windows computers are usable on a daily basis accross many sites I can rest assured they are all fully clean & functioning 98% of the time.