Intel processors

eetaylog

Is there a noticable benefit in going from 3M -> 6M cache when choosing one of the i-range intel processors?

i3 2105 - 3.10GHz, 65W, Intel HD graphics 3000 3M cache -> ~£130

i5 2405 - 3.3GHz, 65W, Intel HD graphics 3000 6M cache -> ~£180

As above, both have very similar specs apart from the caching, but quite a bit of difference in price.

Would be used in an htpc, with 1080p movies being the most cpu intensive load.

TIA :ninja:

I thought only the i5 and i7 had the onboard GPU, not the i3? Would that not play a large part in the price difference?

Dont think so. From what ive read , the whole i range has the integrated graphics and cpu on one piece of silicon which has improved things considerably, but there are 2 different version of the gfx side, the HD 2000 and the HD 3000. The 2k is good, but the 3k kicks ass by all accounts.

Edited by eetaylog

Oooooh, I think I'm right though.

Ill fight you about it.

I'm a lover, not a fighter. I'll make love to you about it :roll:

When I was building my PC I was 100% sure that the i3 didn't have an on CPU GPU. Intel's CPU comparison tool backs this up.

That was a year ago though, so it could welll have been added to later/newer i3 processors.

Oooooh, I think I'm right though.

Ill fight you about it.

I'm a lover, not a fighter. I'll make love to you about it :roll:

When I was building my PC I was 100% sure that the i3 didn't have an on CPU GPU. Intel's CPU comparison tool backs this up.

That was a year ago though, so it could welll have been added to later/newer i3 processors.

I was just gonna say that. Youre probably thinking of the 1156 chipset. The newer 1155's all have the balls deep treatment.

Anyway, sorry to drag it back to my original question, but.... cache, talk to me. :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a noticable benefit in going from 3M -> 6M cache when choosing one of the i-range intel processors?

i3 2105 - 3.10GHz, 65W, Intel HD graphics 3000 3M cache -> ~£130

i5 2405 - 3.3GHz, 65W, Intel HD graphics 3000 6M cache -> ~£180

As above, both have very similar specs apart from the caching, but quite a bit of difference in price.

Would be used in an htpc, with 1080p movies being the most cpu intensive load.

TIA :ninja:

i3 2105 has 2 cores and 64k level 1, 512kb of level 2 and 3072 of level 3 cache

i5 2405 has 4 cores and 128k level 1, 1024kb level 2 and 6144 of level 3 cache

so in answer imo worth the extra money.. you can see a notable difference in performance between an i3 and i5 and once you go i7 youll see an increase again.. (i have an i5 and she has an i7 and even in facebook games you can see how much faster it runs)

• 1 month later...