Speedo Needle Bouncing UP & Down

Neil-Serenade

Morning all. Just as the subject title suggests really. Driving along and the needle goes up and down but seems to bounce like its loose. Been like it for a while and wasn't too bad but other day it seemed worse. Anyone had this before and if so what was cause of problem? Cheers

Thought this could be a possibility, any ideas how you go about fitting a new one?

worth checking diff bearings .have a look if you are losing any gear oil .get under neath car and grab both shafts where the come out of the gearbox and try pushing up and down (as one arm pushes pull with other one like see saw lol)should be little or no movement .this was a common prob on the older boxes the juddery speedo was the speedo drive being chewwed up as its only made of plastic . hope its not this but worth checking :thumb:

Thought this could be a possibility, any ideas how you go about fitting a new one?

worth checking diff bearings .have a look if you are losing any gear oil .get under neath car and grab both shafts where the come out of the gearbox and try pushing up and down (as one arm pushes pull with other one like see saw lol)should be little or no movement .this was a common prob on the older boxes the juddery speedo was the speedo drive being chewwed up as its only made of plastic . hope its not this but worth checking :thumb:

also common problem........... cable has came out its clip on the air intake and allowed to move about along its length when the engine moves, that then translates to the speedo as bounce. tie wrap your speedo cable to something or reclip it to the air intake.

Blimey, seems like it could be a number of things then. If i was losing any gear oil, would it be on the drive. Also, if it was the speedo drive, how much would we be talking to replace it? If its not the this or the air intake then would it be the cable and how much for a new one and how would i go about replacing it. Cheers for your help guys, much appreciated.

Blimey, seems like it could be a number of things then. If i was losing any gear oil, would it be on the drive. Also, if it was the speedo drive, how much would we be talking to replace it? If its not the this or the air intake then would it be the cable and how much for a new one and how would i go about replacing it. Cheers for your help guys, much appreciated.

yes it would be over your drive unless its all gone .check what i said before first .it wont do any harm to lubricate the inner drive cable (not grease to thick )you can do this from underneath the bonnet by undoing drive from gearbox its usually not very tight (22mm spanner if tight) leaving black plastic speed sensor on gearbox .thread cable up through engine bay and pour a little oil down when it is high enough to allow oil to go right down. turning the square shaft will hep the oil go down :thumb:

Dont suppose you got a diagram of the parts i need to fiddle around with as i haven't a clue. Cheers again.

not to hand lol but its at back of engine bay about in the middle but low down there will be a stiff cable that goes down to the gearbox it has a 22mm nut on the end which screws on to a black plastic block with some wires on it (this is the speed sensor)this block then screws into gearbox when unscrewing speedo cable be careful not to twist speed sensor( unless you disconnect wiring first )as you will twist up the wires hope this helps :thumb:

Wasnt intending on changing any dials. Im pretty happy with my existing one, want to keep interior as standard as possible. The last few days its been on and off. One day it would be the same problem, the next its as it should be. Guess its a sign its on the way out. Cheers.

Wasnt intending on changing any dials. Im pretty happy with my existing one, want to keep interior as standard as possible. The last few days its been on and off. One day it would be the same problem, the next its as it should be. Guess its a sign its on the way out. Cheers.

They still look standard dude, ahh well never mind.